• Welcome to Beyond the Final Frontier.

Episode 2.02: Rivulets of Copper, Eyes Aflame

Started by Davy, aka GM, March 25, 2022, 11:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

socrates200X

The captain's words cut through the conversational mood, returning attention to the mission.  "Aye, Captain, heavy stun," Voshen intoned as he pitched the nose of the Dubilier starboard, bringing the shuttle wide around the radius of the storm. 

From this distance, the swirling sands formed a two kilometer tall blister on the surface that stretched nearly to the the far horizons.  Forward sensors measured a four-fold increase in windspeed.  Outwardly cool, Voshen attempted to level his heartrates and focus on the task at hand.

Coordinating with ch'Valk, Voshen's patter became automatic, mnemonic.  "Auxiliary power to inertial dampeners.  Heading 237, mark 335.  Ops, give me 60, no, 65 percent intermix on maneuvering thrusters."  The edge of the storm spread over the sensor grid like ink.  "Brace for turbulence.  Three...two..."

Sand rung against the thick hull as vibrations blurred Voshen's vision.  The control stick strained against his palm as he tacked into the winds...

Rolling Control + Conn (TN 13), assisted by the shuttle's Engines + Conn (TN 6).  Focuses of either Helm Operations or Composure could apply.

Rolled 2d20 : 15, 17, total 32

-- RG

socrates200X

Rolling for shuttle assist:
Rolled 1d20 : 7, total 7
-- RG

Chev ch'Valk

Chev ch'Valk rolling for shuttle assist:
Rolled 1d20 : 5, total 5
"The sky is a neighborhood." -- Foo Fighters

Chev ch'Valk

OOC: Apologies, adding the relevant stat details:
Control(11) + Engineering (2) = TN 13

Davy, aka GM

OOC: Tossing 3 cubes for no reason at all....
Rolled 3d6 : 1, 1, 5, total 7
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Davy, aka GM

OOC: And a d20, for good measure...
Rolled 1d20 : 2, total 2
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Patrick Goodman

"Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous." -- Captain Christopher Pike
Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

If you enjoy my work, why not buy me a coffee?

Davy, aka GM

Voshen guides the ship into the storm and swirling bands of red and brown whip around the small craft. He struggles to maintain the flight path against the buffeting and beating of the crosswinds and shear stresses, and the hull groans and whinges in protest.

About halfway through the storm, the bottom suddenly drops out of the atmosphere and the shuttle plummets a few dozen meters. Crew and passengers alike are pulled up against their restraints and summarily slammed into their seats, arms flailing helplessly, as if the shuttle had just hit a hard surface after a lengthy drop. A loud crack is heard from the utility compartment aft, and the ship's automation cuts out.

The readout shows the shuttle at 767 meters in altitude, and Chev's operations board is lit up like the snowy taiga at sunrise. Automation is down and the computer core shows several faults; from Voshen's point of view, the helm and engine response is sluggish, at best.

OOC: I'm treating this as an Impacted Computer System. No Breach has been sustained (because that would cause the Computer to be Damaged on a Scale 2 vessel).

The shuttle's Computers cannot be used to assist on any tasks, and all tasks assisted by the shuttle increase their Complication range by 2. You can use the Restore Minor Action to mitigate these issues.

So, we're going to do one more round of rolls, same as last time; however, Chev has a choice. He can either a) assist in the piloting as usual, leaving the Computers Impacted, or b) he can instead perform the Restore Minor Action to mitigate the penalties before Voshen rolls his task (meaning Voshen would rely only on himself and the shuttle's engines).
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

socrates200X

Seems like early days, but it's the right time for it...Voshen is going to lean on his Value of "The First Step Always Involves Risk" and spend 1 Determination for a Perfect Opportunity (2 automatic Successes) here.  It's his first mission with the crew, and this seems damned risky.

The shuttle spun helplessly around them though the viewer showed only the constant whirlwind of sand.  Pulling back on the stick, Voshen felt the engines strain to correct their bearing as the altimeter dropped rapidly.  Loud trills warning of the loss of computer control blared from the copilot station.

A giddy rush of excitement seized him and with his long experience, he let it take over.  "Disabling automatic flight!  Hang on!"  The stick grew slack in his hand, the thrusters' acceleration locked directly into his movements, for better or worse.  Yanking the shuttle hard to port, Voshen corkscrewed the shuttle into the storm...

Rolling Control + Conn (TN 13) (again...), assisted by the shuttle's Engines + Conn (TN 6).  Focus of either Helm Operations or Composure applies.

Rolled 2d20 : 7, 1, total 8
-- RG

socrates200X

That's more like it!  Rolling for the Dubilier (TN 6):

Rolled 1d20 : 19, total 19
-- RG

Davy, aka GM

OOC: Acknowledging the invoking of a Value to spend Determination for Perfect Opportunity.

3 Successes from Voshen, plus 2 Successes for Perfect Opportunity, plus 0 Successes for the shuttle, giving us 5 total Successes vs. Difficulty 2. Success, plus 3 Momentum generated!

So you wish to spend any of that Momentum, or just bank it? (I'm not saying y'all may need it later, but y'all may need it later...)

Thankfully, since Chev performed the Restore Minor Action, that 19 from the shuttle isn't a Complication.  8)

Current
Momentum 0 (3 pending, Voshen)
Threat 10

Chev reacts quickly, expertly bypassing popped breakers and damaged couplings, restoring the shuttle's automation. Full flight control back at his fingertips, Voshen redoubles his efforts and weaves through the chaos of the storm. They alight near the monastery gate after a surprisingly smooth end to the flight.

Outside, the area is subject to simoom-like conditions - extremely hot, heavy winds laden with dust. Conditions such as these can actually cause blistering on exposed skin, and the crew has a good 15 meters separating them and the gate. Cole and Tobin note that there is no sentry posted in front of the gate.

OOC: You folks have your excursion jackets - your choice if you also are wearing the excursion vest underneath.

The two security guards (who are going to be Crewman Drake* and Crewman Spunkmeyer) are wearing armor and helmets. Cole may also wear security armor, should he choose, at a cost of Opportunity 1 and Escalation 1.

* Drake is a descendant of Dr. Elias J. Drake, so her team calls her "Namesake." -Ed.

(Further, the security guards are Minor NPCs in this scene, so I'll roll for them (and they'll generate Threat, not Momentum).)

Each character needs to make a Fitness + Security test vs. Difficulty 2 to transit to the gate. Success will grant 2[CD] cover against the winds (which are rated at 3[CD] Piercing 1); security armor provides 2 Resistance.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

socrates200X

Banking the 3 Momentum for the group.  (Collectively not crashing into the desert is great for morale!)

If applicable, I'll float using the extra desert travel provisions (included desert visors) to give us some small Advantage here, if only in adding a positive Effect to our Cover rolls.  Not crucial though; I'm fine taking some lumps.

Voshen's head sagged against his seat as the Dubilier safely touched down.  "Apologies," he said, "The sandstorm proved far more destabilizing that I had anticipated.  'Thrice warned...'"

Blasts of heated sand continued to sound against the hull.  Voshen adjusted his excursion collar up over the thin tubules of his rebreather.  "When you are prepared, Captain."

Rolling Fitness + Security (TN 11), no applicable Focus.

Rolled 2d20 : 5, 18, total 23

-- RG

Chev ch'Valk

"My hero," grins Chev weakly in slightly accented Zaranish. He leans his head back against his seat for a moment, taking a deep breath in through his nose and exhaling slowly through his mouth to combat the nausea and control the adrenaline fighting for control of his system.

Releasing  safety harness, the ensign rises, checking that his communicator and phaser are attached and ready to go. As a member of a heat-averse species, he wasn't looking forward to the next bit, but then again he always fancied thrill rides whenever he went to a theme park, and really, the only difference here was the heightened potential for injury or death, so...

"Same sir," he said, adding to Voshen's declaration.

Fitness 10 + Security 4 = 14 TN

Rolled 2d20 : 3, 6, total 9

Davy, aka GM

OOC: Yes, I will give you an Advantage for additional desert provisions, since they were specified earlier. (Perhaps cloaks like the one the Spock was wearing in Star Trek V: The Search for God The Final Frontier.)
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Nolmir

Tobin unclenches and exhales as the shuttle sets down. "Well, that certainly was interesting," he says quietly, before standing up to retrieve a cloak from the gear Voshen brought along.

"Looks like even the monks don't want to be out in this weather," he notes drily as he shrugs into the protective clothing. "There's no sentry. I just hope they open up for us."

OOC: Fitness 8 + Security 1, with Survival Focus
Rolled 2d2 : 2, 1, total 3