• Welcome to Beyond the Final Frontier.

Episode 2.02: Rivulets of Copper, Eyes Aflame

Started by Davy, aka GM, March 25, 2022, 11:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davy, aka GM

Sorak
QuoteSorak nods, his eyes narrowing to convey the subtext has also been understood, "While I am certain, mother, that T'Kiri will handle any stress this may inflict with the aplomb of an agent of her position and experience, you make a logical point that mates should be prepared to provide support in any case."

T'Chelle nods and moves away, and Sorak arranges for transport back home. Not long after his own return, T'Kiri enters through the front door. As she sets her satchel on the entryway sidetable, she announces, "I have been declared 'emotionally compromised.' I will not be allowed to participate in the investigation. I do not see the logic in this; I am best equipped to understand my brother's movements and tendencies."

Sorak knows his wife; she's clearly agitated.

Cole
Quote"I don't know much about the selaht, Sadek but your attention to detail is commendable. There is an animal on Earth called a bear. I guess it's the nearest analogy to a selaht. The recommended way to evade a bear safely is to move away sideways. Slowly, facing the bear. The sideways movement is less threatening and it's less likely to charge if it knows you're watching it." He pauses, noting that Sadek is digesting this.

"What's your assessment of the effectiveness of this as a possible strategy here?"

"If there is a commonality with your Earth bear, we could escape to our right at mark 278 toward the tree line, assuming our pursuer would not consider us taking three steps back for every seventeen laterally as 'threatening,'" the boy says. "I do not have data on the effectiveness of such a strategy, so I cannot give you a quantitative assessment."

Treyva
Quote"Commodore, Mr. Thadis is one of my best officers," Treyva said, coming to a stop outside the door to the transport station. "He's served under me for years; I find it very hard to believe that he could kill someone without extreme provocation, let alone several someones. This has to be some sort of mistake."

"Let's hope it is," Santiago replies. "Talk to your people, and report to the Federation embassy at the top of the hour. Dr. Suchwani and I are going to meet with a VIS representative at that time."

OOC: That gives Treyva about 38 minutes.

Tobin
As he walks out of the theater, he opens his communicator. "Drake, this is Les. Is Capt. Treyva aboard ship?"

"No, sir. He's planetside. Do you want me to connect you to him?" the communications officer asks.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Doug Burke

QuoteAs she sets her satchel on the entryway sidetable, she announces, "I have been declared 'emotionally compromised.' I will not be allowed to participate in the investigation. I do not see the logic in this; I am best equipped to understand my brother's movements and tendencies."

Sorak approaches his mate and nods in understanding. "While I am certain you would not allow your relationship to the victim to influence your logic, beloved, there are two related considerations that are being addressed by this decision." He pauses for a moment and then continues,  "The first is what the humans call being 'too close' to an investigation. Which leads to the second,  which is avoiding the assistance of impropriety in the investigation by recusing the investigator whose brother has been killed,  thus eliminating any hint of bias, warranted or not. If I am not mistaken,  this is standard procedure for this sort of investigation."

His features soften in sympathy, "While I understand the frustration this causes,  and your desire to help find the truth, I'm sure you see the logic of the order in that light."

"Also,  though not my least concern, I grieve with thee for this loss."
"Plus who is going to be consoling Sorak there?"

"The commander raises a valid concern," Sorak replied with his usual aplomb, "As you can see, I am beside myself with worry."

Nolmir

Quote from: Davy, aka GM on May 20, 2022, 01:30:03 AM
"No, sir. He's planetside. Do you want me to connect you to him?" the communications officer asks.

"Yes, please do," Tobin replies, pacing impatiently in the pedestrian path.

Renny

Quote from: Davy, aka GM on May 20, 2022, 01:30:03 AM

Cole
Quote"I don't know much about the selaht, Sadek but your attention to detail is commendable. There is an animal on Earth called a bear. I guess it's the nearest analogy to a selaht. The recommended way to evade a bear safely is to move away sideways. Slowly, facing the bear. The sideways movement is less threatening and it's less likely to charge if it knows you're watching it." He pauses, noting that Sadek is digesting this.

"What's your assessment of the effectiveness of this as a possible strategy here?"

"If there is a commonality with your Earth bear, we could escape to our right at mark 278 toward the tree line, assuming our pursuer would not consider us taking three steps back for every seventeen laterally as 'threatening,'" the boy says. "I do not have data on the effectiveness of such a strategy, so I cannot give you a quantitative assessment."

"Well, Sadek. It would seem to me that this strategy is our best option given the data we have to hand. What do you say?"

Patrick Goodman

Treyva took a deep breath, locked eyes sympathetically with his wife, and said,  "Aye, sir; I'll see you then. Treyva out." He closed the communicator and said, "I'm afraid we're going to need to delay our tour, beloved."
"Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous." -- Captain Christopher Pike
Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

If you enjoy my work, why not buy me a coffee?

Davy, aka GM

Sorak
QuoteHis features soften in sympathy, "While I understand the frustration this causes,  and your desire to help find the truth, I'm sure you see the logic of the order in that light."

"Also,  though not my least concern, I grieve with thee for this loss."

"Thank you, beloved," T'Kiri responds softly. She reaches up with the back of her two fingers, running them along his cheekbone in a gesture of affection. She meets his eyes for several moments, her gaze speaking volumes what mere words fail to express, then turns and finds a seat on the couch. "I have other concerns, but I am uncertain whether I should share them; I am having difficulty finding the logic in them."

As if on cue, her communicator buzzes. She glances at it and nods to herself. "That was T'Mag. When she expressed her sympathy earlier, she informed me that a body was found near a research station; her investigators just discovered a second corpse underneath the first.

"Illogical or not, I must reveal to you my thoughts," T'Kiri continues. "My brother's murder appears to be one of now-seven deaths by violent means in recent days. All were struck down by a sharp blade of some kind - like the Andorian hrisal. Before I was sent home, I learned that a science officer attached to your command - a...Thadis, I believe - was in proximity to at least a pair of victims when they were last seen alive.

"My concern lies in the uncompromising stance my colleagues and superiors are taking; they are certain the crimes are ones of illogic and passion, and can only be ascribed to an off-worlder," she explains. "I have neither proof nor logical reasoning to believe otherwise, but I think they are too quick to discount other possibilities, and have difficulty declaring that a vetted member of Starfleet would be inclined to kill so violently and indiscriminately. Perhaps I am biased in that regard."

Cole
Quote"Well, Sadek. It would seem to me that this strategy is our best option given the data we have to hand. What do you say?"

"I say we attempt it. I would rather not wait until the creature decides to pounce," he lifts his pack and one of Cole's, and the pair slowly move in their slightly oblique pattern toward the tree line behind them. As they continue to watch for any sign of pursuit, they see slight flourishes against the desert landscape, as if the sehlat occasionally creeps forward toward them while trying to keep its cover. Cole recognizes that a prey animal that can't see the full spectrum of color could easily miss such subtle movements.

The dance of careful retreat and creeping pursuit continues for some time, the predator consistently maintaining its 40-odd meter distance from Cole and Sadek. As they near sprinting distance of the grove, Cole notices a change in the sehlat's demeanor; it's hard to fully gague, but the creature appears to raise its haunches a bit, as if it's about to launch itself. The security officer senses Sadek stiffen next to him; he sees it, too.

With a calm that belies the anxiety both feel, the boy says, "Run."

OOC: Okay, we're going to do a timed challenge. The first key task will be Fitness + Security vs. Difficulty 1 to reach a suitable climbing tree, increased to Difficulty 2 because success relies on the slower runner between Cole and Sadek. Sadek will assist with his own Fitness + Security (8/2).

The second key task will be Control + Security vs. Difficulty 2 to climb out of reach. Sadek will again assist with his own Control + Security (9/2).

You will attempt Fitness tasks until you succeed twice, and then the Control task until you succeed once. The interval for the challenge is 4. Each task takes two intervals. Remember, you can spend 1 Momentum to reduce the interval to 1 on a successful task. When time runs out, the sehlat catches up to the slower runner/climber.

Renny, please roll for both Cole and Sadek.

Sadek, a Vulcan pre-adolescent male
Traits: Vulcan

ATTRIBUTES
Control - 9
Daring - 8
Fitness - 8
Insight - 7
Presence - 6
Reason - 10

DISCIPLINES
Command - 0
Conn - 0
Security - 2
Engineering - 1
Science - 3
Medicine - 1

STRESS 10

FOCUSES
Geography

Oh, and as a side note, the trees in this scene appear to be visually similar to almond trees, albeit slightly larger and thicker in diameter.

Tobin
Quote"Yes, please do," Tobin replies, pacing impatiently in the pedestrian path.

"Aye, sir. Stand by," the communications officer says. The line is quiet for several moments.

Treyva
QuoteTreyva took a deep breath, locked eyes sympathetically with his wife, and said,  "Aye, sir; I'll see you then. Treyva out." He closed the communicator and said, "I'm afraid we're going to need to delay our tour, beloved."

Asha leans in for a kiss. "Go, do your heroic captain things. I'll see you for dinner," she says lightly. It wasn't a question, but a statement.

As she heads away, Treyva's communicator beeps again. When he answers, he hears the voice of Lt. j.g. Portmain. "Sir, I have Lt. Cmdr. Les on the line for you. It sounds urgent."
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Renny

Quote from: Davy, aka GM on May 25, 2022, 01:56:37 PM

OOC: Okay, we're going to do a timed challenge. The first key task will be Fitness + Security vs. Difficulty 1 to reach a suitable climbing tree, increased to Difficulty 2 because success relies on the slower runner between Cole and Sadek. Sadek will assist with his own Fitness + Security (8/2).

Fitness (12) + Security (5) vs Difficulty 2

Rolled 2d20 : 12, 4, total 16

Renny

OOC: Two successes from Cole. Assist from Sadek

Rolled 1d20 : 7, total 7

Renny

OOC: Total of three successes there. So next up is roll to climb that tree.

Control (9) + Security (5) vs Difficulty 2

Rolled 2d20 : 5, 2, total 7

Renny

OOC: Two successes there. Roll to assist again from Sadek

Control (9) + Security (2)

Rolled 1d20 : 13, total 13

Renny

OOC: No help there from Sadek unfortunately.

Davy, aka GM

OOC: Sorry, I wasn't clear in my description. You must attempt and succeed on the Fitness task twice, not just get 2 or more successes on a task.

Also, remember that each task you roll takes up 2 intervals out of the 4 you have before time runs out. You will need to spend Momentum at least on one successful task to reduce the amount of time it takes to complete.

So, on the first Fitness task, that's 3 Successes vs. Difficulty 2. Success, plus 1 Momentum generated. Do you wish to spend that Momentum to reduce the interval of this task to 1?

I will then need a second Fitness task, with Sadek assisting. We'll keep the Control task as is.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Doug Burke

Quote"My concern lies in the uncompromising stance my colleagues and superiors are taking; they are certain the crimes are ones of illogic and passion, and can only be ascribed to an off-worlder," she explains. "I have neither proof nor logical reasoning to believe otherwise, but I think they are too quick to discount other possibilities, and have difficulty declaring that a vetted member of Starfleet would be inclined to kill so violently and indiscriminately. Perhaps I am biased in that regard."

Sorak's brows knit in consternation, "If you are, it is a bias I share. It is illogical to assume that Vulcans cannot act irrationally. Additionally,  I  have served with Thadis. Our son has worked closely with him. Not once have either of us had any cause to doubt his professionalism. The accusation itself is illogical in that it hinges on the circumstantial evidence of his species and proximity."
"Plus who is going to be consoling Sorak there?"

"The commander raises a valid concern," Sorak replied with his usual aplomb, "As you can see, I am beside myself with worry."

Patrick Goodman

Treyva looked past the open communicator, watched Asha walk away, and sighed. The last few times he'd spent with family members had been interrupted by crises.

He listened to Portmain, guessing the reason why Tobin wanted to speak to him. "I imagine it is," he replied. "Put him through." He waited a moment, giving the young officer time to patch the connection, then said, "Treyva here. What can I do for you, Commander?"
"Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous." -- Captain Christopher Pike
Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

If you enjoy my work, why not buy me a coffee?

Renny

Quote from: Davy, aka GM on May 25, 2022, 06:54:41 PM
OOC: Sorry, I wasn't clear in my description. You must attempt and succeed on the Fitness task twice, not just get 2 or more successes on a task.

Also, remember that each task you roll takes up 2 intervals out of the 4 you have before time runs out. You will need to spend Momentum at least on one successful task to reduce the amount of time it takes to complete.

So, on the first Fitness task, that's 3 Successes vs. Difficulty 2. Success, plus 1 Momentum generated. Do you wish to spend that Momentum to reduce the interval of this task to 1?

I will then need a second Fitness task, with Sadek assisting. We'll keep the Control task as is.

OOC: No problem. Let's spend the momentum to reduce the interval first.

Now, 2nd Fitness task

Fitness (12) + Security (5) vs Difficulty 2

Rolled 2d20 : 5, 3, total 8