• Welcome to Beyond the Final Frontier.

Episode 2.02: Rivulets of Copper, Eyes Aflame

Started by Davy, aka GM, March 25, 2022, 11:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renny

Quote from: Davy, aka GM on May 05, 2022, 10:44:44 PM
Cole
The young Vulcan nods and divides his attention between his map and the horizon where his pursuer is supposed to be hiding.

"Sir, I'm sorry to bother you on leave, but I figured you'd want to know this right away," Lt. Lear says, not wasting time with pleasantries. "There's been a murder in the city of Ta'Vistar. They're saying one of ours is a 'person of interest.'"

Cole pauses a beat while that information sinks in.

"You were right to call, Lieutenant. Who's the suspect?"

Doug Burke

OOC: I am going on the assumption that Spalan drops the name simultaneously as the narrative reveal to Tobin.

Sorak nods,  both eyebrows furrowed in thought, "I am indeed familiar with Lieutenant Thadis keth Dra." His tone becomes lecturing and his posture that of an instructor,  "Thirty-one standard years of age, Andorian,  science officer assigned to the Drake with a speciality in astronomy. Despite his clan's well- known grudge again Vulcans, dating from the conflicts of the previous century, in my experience, Mr. Thadis has never acted other than professionally toward any Vulcans serving with or under him. Including Sonak, who served his cadet cruise aboard the Drake and worked closely with Thadis."
"Plus who is going to be consoling Sorak there?"

"The commander raises a valid concern," Sorak replied with his usual aplomb, "As you can see, I am beside myself with worry."

Patrick Goodman

Treyva stopped short at that, and his expression became serious. "I beg your pardon, sir? Arrested? Who, and for what?" He exchanged a glance with his wife, and they both resumed their walk to the transport terminal, this time with more urgency.
"Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous." -- Captain Christopher Pike
Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

If you enjoy my work, why not buy me a coffee?

Davy, aka GM

Cole
"Mr. Thadis from Science Department, sir. They're holding them in their Ta'Vistar facility."

Treyva
Asha doesn't hide her shock as her eyes meet her husband's.

There was a short pause on the other end of the line. "A science officer named Thadis. He's what the Vulcans are calling a 'person of interest' in the death of a retired police investigator in the city of Ta'Vistar," the commodore responds. He pauses a moment, then adds, "Among others."

Sorak
The others watch the interchange between father and son with interest as Spalan nods his understanding.

"I will relay that information to the investigating officers," he responds. "I must also take my leave to meet with my district commanders."

On cue, T'Mag's communicator beeps and she steps away. The conversation is short and she announces, "I have been called into my precinct. A body has been discovered away from the city."

T'Mat raises an eyebrow at the coincidence. "Father, that is the sixth."

"It is," he confirms. "Investigators are working to determine connections between them, if there are any. There is much to do."

Meanwhile, T'Chele approaches Sorak, her expression what he would describe as "motherly." She says, "Son, you should go await your wife. She will likely be sent home once investigative protocols are invoked." She doesn't say it, but the unspoken inference is there: As a Jarokovan, T'Kiri will need emotional support. He knows his parents disapproved of his choice in philosophy, but their respect for his decisions won't allow them to say it, or publicly voice their opinions on the subject, especially in front of others. Still, the disapproval remains in the unspoken words.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Nolmir

Tobin stops short, his expression quickly shifting from amused to concerned. "Why, Thadis? What happened?"

Davy, aka GM

Tobin
"They only said I was seen in the vicinity of two Vulcans later found 'deceased by violent means,'" the astronomer replies. Tobin can hear the frustration in his voice. "I've just been taking in the sights and shopping in a town called Ta'Vistar for the last few days. Before that, I had arranged to visit an eremology research station and a mine outside GolanKorsta.

"They say I need to go. Could you arrange for counsel for me? I don't trust --"

The line is cut off, leaving dead air. Tobin sees T'Kalla through the entrance to the balcony; her eyebrow is raised in curiosity.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Doug Burke

Quote"Son, you should go await your wife. She will likely be sent home once investigative protocols are invoked."

Sorak nods, his eyes narrowing to convey the subtext has also been understood, "While I am certain, mother, that T'Kiri will handle any stress this may inflict with the aplomb of an agent of her position and experience, you make a logical point that mates should be prepared to provide support in any case."
"Plus who is going to be consoling Sorak there?"

"The commander raises a valid concern," Sorak replied with his usual aplomb, "As you can see, I am beside myself with worry."

Nolmir

Tobin takes the few steps back into the box. "I am very sorry, but I'm afraid I'm not really in the mood for music anymore," he says with a frown. "One of my subordinates has found himself in quite serious legal trouble. If you'll excuse me, I have some arrangements to make."

He catches T'Kalla's eye. "Perhaps, when circumstances allow, we could schedule another opportunity to spend some time together?"

Renny

Quote from: Davy, aka GM on May 08, 2022, 01:29:49 AM
Cole
"Mr. Thadis from Science Department, sir. They're holding them in their Ta'Vistar facility."

"Thadis?" Cole muses. "I can picture him, is Tobin aware? I assume he is. Local authorities have jurisdiction but we will need to make sure Thadis has proper representation. I'll transport up shortly but I have something here I need to take care off. Let me know if the situation changes. Cole out"

Davy, aka GM

Tobin
Quote"One of my subordinates has found himself in quite serious legal trouble. If you'll excuse me, I have some arrangements to make."

"I am a solicitor," T'Vaana-Sath notes. "Once you have spoken to your officer, please call upon me if you have need of my services."

QuoteHe catches T'Kalla's eye. "Perhaps, when circumstances allow, we could schedule another opportunity to spend some time together?"

"Yes, that would be most agreeable," she replies. "You will contact me tomorrow, regardless?"

Cole
"Aye, sir. Drake out," Lear responds before the line closes.

The young Vulcan, his eyes and attention still down range, notes, "I calculated a roughly 38.86 percent chance that you would be required to return to your duties, take me with you, and, thus, cause me to fail my kahs-wan. I am pleasantly surprised to find that it will not be the case.

"I believe the creature is has gone to ground," he adds, pointing toward what looks like a distant shimmer in the air. It could be an outline of a bear-like predator, only slightly discolored from the ground around it. "Maybe 44 meters away. I wonder if it is curious about your presence. How would you recommend we proceed?"

"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Renny

Quote from: Davy, aka GM on May 12, 2022, 01:40:56 AM

Cole
The young Vulcan, his eyes and attention still down range, notes, "I calculated a roughly 38.86 percent chance that you would be required to return to your duties, take me with you, and, thus, cause me to fail my kahs-wan. I am pleasantly surprised to find that it won't be the case.

"I believe the creature is has gone to ground," he adds, pointing toward what looks like a distant shimmer in the air. It could be an outline of a bear-like predator, only slightly discolored from the ground around it. "Maybe 44 meters away. I wonder if it is curious about your presence. How would you recommend we proceed?"

Cole looks at the young Vulcan sympathetically.

"It sounds like the situation, serious as it is, is being managed as well as it can for now. So I have a bit of time"

He looks in the indicated direction, straining to make out any detail beyond the obvious visual telltale of the distorted patch of air.

"This is your trial. Tell me what you know about this creature and it's habits".

Davy, aka GM

Cole
With Cole assuming the role of teacher, Sadek assumes the role of student.

"An undomesticated selaht is often between 250 and 350 kilograms, with canines between 20 and 25 centimeters in length," he begins. "They are mostly solitary creatures, with males roaming independent territories that may intersect with one or two female territories.

"They have a short burst speed of about 100 meters in under seven seconds, but also excellent endurance for long pursuit hunting. They often pursue and observe prey from a camouflaged position, 'dusting' their coats with local topsoil by rubbing in a dry patch to better blend in with the local environment. As evidenced before us."

The adolescent pauses for a moment and adds, "We are well within its optimal striking range, Durham Cole, should it choose to attack."
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Renny

Cole considers this for a moment, never taking his eyes from the threat.

"I don't know much about the selaht, Sadek but your attention to detail is commendable. There is an animal on Earth called a bear. I guess it's the nearest analogy to a selaht. The recommended way to evade a bear safely is to move away sideways. Slowly, facing the bear. The sideways movement is less threatening and it's less likely to charge if it knows you're watching it." He pauses, noting that Sadek is digesting this.

"What's your assessment of the effectiveness of this as a possible strategy here?"

Nolmir

"I am a solicitor," T'Vaana-Sath notes. "Once you have spoken to your officer, please call upon me if you have need of my services."

"Thank you, T'Vaana-Sath, that is very generous of you," Tobin replies.

"Yes, that would be most agreeable," she replies. "You will contact me tomorrow, regardless?"

He nods. "Yes, of course, T'Kalla. Until then." The Trill waves a goodbye and strides out of the box.

As he walks out of the theater, he opens his communicator. "Drake, this is Les. Is Capt. Treyva aboard ship?"

Patrick Goodman

"Commodore, Mr. Thadis is one of my best officers," Treyva said, coming to a stop outside the door to the transport station. "He's served under me for years; I find it very hard to believe that he could kill someone without extreme provocation, let alone several someones. This has to be some sort of mistake."
"Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous." -- Captain Christopher Pike
Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

If you enjoy my work, why not buy me a coffee?