• Welcome to Beyond the Final Frontier.

Episode 2.02: Rivulets of Copper, Eyes Aflame

Started by Davy, aka GM, March 25, 2022, 11:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davy, aka GM

Sorak
QuoteHe lifts a finger for each option as he explains.  "Whoever installed the device wants the research station to be examined closely, either to reveal something or to conceal something else. And the last option is the province of what humans call a practical joke"

Eyebrows shoot up across the room, and Storvant tilts his head quizzically. "You are suggesting an off-worlder is potentially responsible for this? For their amusement?"

"Surely not," T'Mat protests.

T'Mag responds, "I have read that other species, humans especially, will take extreme action for thrills alone. It is entirely illogical, --"

"-- but other species are not bound by the rules of logic," finishes Spalan.

Storvant nods once, then turns to Sorak. "Assuming a more logical reasoning, what would one want revealed from a research station that has consistently been in compliance for 326 years? Compliance records are a matter of public record, and Sas-a-Shar as an institution has never failed to maintain emissions standards."

"It would suggest that concealment of something else is more likely," Spalan notes. "Your thoughts, Sorak?"

Treyva
QuoteHe smiled at that.  "Oh, she's beautiful," he said. "And really big compared to anything else I've ever served on. I need to show you the labs when we get a chance; they're the best Starfleet has to offer. I've been very impressed."

"I look forward to that. The last time I was aboard one of your ships was just after you were posted to the Hermes. I remember thinking your quarters at the time were smaller than the closets in our first apartment."

Cole
QuoteHis eyes flick from the desert to the face of the young Vulcan, then back again to the middle distance, willing his eyes to pick the threat out from the  arid haze.

"How's this one working out for you, mate?"

"If not for the current threat, I believe I will succeed in completing the ordeal," the boy assesses as he, too, scans the horizon for his pursuer. Then, turning to Cole, he adds, "I would prefer not to escape by transporter, as it would prematurely end my test. I am similarly forbidden food, water, or weapons.

"But, neither the letter nor the spirit of the conditions of the test forbid me assistance from another I encounter in the desert," Sadek notes. "Would you be willing to help me evade the predator?"

Tobin
QuoteHe pauses, glancing towards T'Kalla. "So, what about you, T'Kalla? You've never been one to sit still for long."

Her eyebrow arches a scant milimeter, something Tobin remembers as a sign of amusement, just as the doors open. T'Kalla leads him out to the right, where he sees a number of enclosed boxes, each holding Vulcans in quiet discussion during the intermission.

"Until two months ago, my occupation was my recovery," she says. "There was little time for anything else. However, I was not otherwise idle; I offered myself on contract as a developer of engineering solutions as soon as my physicians allowed me to work."

T'Kalla stops at the fourth box and turns to face Tobin. "I have one client to date - a subordinate department of the Commerce Ministry, helping improve transport efficiencies in inter-provincial commerce." Tobin, familiar with some of the subtle tones in her speech, recognizes a hint of satisfaction in her words, like she's relieved to finally be productive in some way, despite her injuries.

The engineer reaches out and adjusts the cuff of his sleeve with her good hand, something she had done more than once when they were dating, then adds, "I apologize for not saying so immediately, but my parents are with me this evening. I admit a level of uncertainty that you would have agreed to join me here had I done so. Please forgive me. They have always been interested in meeting you."
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Renny

Quote from: Davy, aka GM on April 08, 2022, 03:28:21 PM
"If not for the current threat, I believe I will succeed in completing the ordeal," the boy assesses as he, too, scans the horizon for his pursuer. Then, turning to Cole, he adds, "I would prefer not to escape by transporter, as it would prematurely end my test. I am similarly forbidden food, water, or weapons.

"But, neither the letter nor the spirit of the conditions of the test forbid me assistance from another I encounter in the desert," Sadek notes. "Would you be willing to help me evade the predator?"

Cole looks at the earnest young Vulcan with a level gaze for a moment.

"I'd be honoured," he says levelly. "Give me a moment to gather my gear and we can get moving."

Davy, aka GM

Cole
Sadek assists Cole in breaking camp, both keeping alert for signs of the sehlat's approach. Now, the desert is anything but bare. Small scrub plants dot the landscape, but few appear to be large enough to hide a bear-sized creature, and Cole estimates the closest "significant" cover (a rock formation) is no closer than 80-90 meters away.

It takes a minute or so to stow his gear for hiking, but, in that time, Cole neither sees nor hears anything that would suggest a large predator is within sprinting distance.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Nolmir

Quote from: Davy, aka GM on April 08, 2022, 03:28:21 PM
T'Kalla stops at the fourth box and turns to face Tobin. "I have one client to date - a subordinate department of the Commerce Ministry, helping improve transport efficiencies in inter-provincial commerce." Tobin, familiar with some of the subtle tones in her speech, recognizes a hint of satisfaction in her words, like she's relieved to finally be productive in some way, despite her injuries.

The engineer reaches out and adjusts the cuff of his sleeve with her good hand, something she had done more than once when they were dating, then adds, "I apologize for not saying so immediately, but my parents are with me this evening. I admit a level of uncertainty that you would have agreed to join me here had I done so. Please forgive me. They have always been interested in meeting you."

It's Tobin's turn to raise an eyebrow. "T'Kalla, if I didn't know you better, I'd think you were feeling sheepish," he says, his attempt at imitating Vulcan stoicism quickly giving way to a smile. "I'd be honored to meet your parents, even despite your deception," he adds playfully.

Davy, aka GM

Tobin
QuoteIt's Tobin's turn to raise an eyebrow. "T'Kalla, if I didn't know you better, I'd think you were feeling sheepish," he says, his attempt at imitating Vulcan stoicism quickly giving way to a smile. "I'd be honored to meet your parents, even despite your deception," he adds playfully.

"Thank you," she responds. "My logic always seems less certain where you are involved."

T'Kalla leads Tobin into the box, where her parents wait. Both are standing, as if anticipating the pair's arrival. "Mother, father, this is Tobin Les, my friend from Starfleet.

"Tobin, these are my parents, Shivuln and T'Vaana-Sath."

Shivuln is almost a head higher than Tobin himself, broad shouldered and of average build for his people. His dark hair is starting to show signs of graying, and he wears a neatly-groomed goatee. Tobin can't say he sees much of his daughter in Shivuln's features, except around the eyes, as if hers were lifted directly from his.

His wife is only slightly shorter than her daughter, but her frame matches T'Kalla's in every other proportion. Her skin is slightly darker and her cheeks fuller, which tends to make her eyes to seem warmer than one would expect from a Vulcan. Her hair is long, and turned up into a stylish, but practical do.

Each nods in turn at their introduction, and her father holds his hand up in the traditional salute. "Prosperity and long life, Tobin Les."
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Renny

Gear stowed, Cole turns to Sadek.

"It's your trial, mate. Lead the way".

He exaggerates a bow and indicates for the young Vulcan to choose his path.

Doug Burke

QuoteEyebrows shoot up across the room, and Storvant tilts his head quizzically. "You are suggesting an off-worlder is potentially responsible for this? For their amusement?"

"Surely not," T'Mat protests.

T'Mag responds, "I have read that other species, humans especially, will take extreme action for thrills alone. It is entirely illogical, --"

"-- but other species are not bound by the rules of logic," finishes Spalan.

Storvant nods once, then turns to Sorak. "Assuming a more logical reasoning, what would one want revealed from a research station that has consistently been in compliance for 326 years? Compliance records are a matter of public record, and Sas-a-Shar as an institution has never failed to maintain emissions standards."

"It would suggest that concealment of something else is more likely," Spalan notes. "Your thoughts, Sorak?"

Sorak raises both eyebrows, "I was not suggesting anything in particular, merely suggesting the three motivations I could for the ionizer to be placed, which it obviously was. If no one known for such a non-Vulcan flavor of humor has had access to the systems, we can easily eliminate that option from our list." He brings his hands up before his torso and rests the fingertips of each hand on the same tip from the other. "As for revelation, perhaps our guilty party wished for a more in-depth diagnostic be run rathe than the normal routines. Which given that we are discussing it, very likely occurred. Did you find anything unusual in the more intensive investigation?"

The engineer shares a glance with his father, asking with his expression for patience.
"Plus who is going to be consoling Sorak there?"

"The commander raises a valid concern," Sorak replied with his usual aplomb, "As you can see, I am beside myself with worry."

Nolmir

Quote from: Davy, aka GM on April 11, 2022, 04:10:40 PM
Each nods in turn at their introduction, and her father holds his hand up in the traditional salute. "Prosperity and long life, Tobin Les."

Tobin inclines his head in a respectful bow toward each of them. "And peace and long life to you, Shivuln and T'Vanna-Sath," he replies, his speech slipping into a more formal cadence. "I'm glad to finally make your acquaintance. Your daughter and I have known each other for nigh on a decade now. As a crewmate and a friend, she has always been a credit to your family." He lets his gaze stray toward T'Kallah. "And I must say that our chance meeting tonight was most welcome."

Patrick Goodman

"I remember thinking your quarters at the time were smaller than the closets in our first apartment."
He smiled. "I think you're being generous," he said. "They really packed them in on those old scouts." He looked out the window at the setting sun. "The conference is over for the day. If you have nowhere else to be, we could beam up now. No time like the present, as the Humans say."
"Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous." -- Captain Christopher Pike
Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

If you enjoy my work, why not buy me a coffee?

Davy, aka GM

Treyva
QuoteHe smiled. "I think you're being generous," he said. "They really packed them in on those old scouts." He looked out the window at the setting sun. "The conference is over for the day. If you have nowhere else to be, we could beam up now. No time like the present, as the Humans say."

"That would be lovely. Let's go." Asha reaches for the small interface at the edge of the table, tapping in her personal data to account for the meal. "Maybe we can go to the recreation deck and I'll serenade you with the concepts of chaos theory in desertification."

As they exit the seating area, Treyva's communicator beeps.

Sorak
Quote"As for revelation, perhaps our guilty party wished for a more in-depth diagnostic be run rathe than the normal routines. Which given that we are discussing it, very likely occurred. Did you find anything unusual in the more intensive investigation?"

The engineer shares a glance with his father, asking with his expression for patience.

"Nothing. We first repeated our initial inspection after clearing the emitter," Storvant answers. "All was within normal parameters. We followed up with a second-level inspection, which confirmed our initial analysis. There is no logic to this."

"Perhaps we should, then, seek an actor that is not 'logical,'" T'Mag offers. "I wonder if there were any non-Vulcans proximate to the station when the suspect device was planted."

Spalan is about to add to the conversation when both his and Sorak's communicators beep in near unison.

Tobin
Quote"I'm glad to finally make your acquaintance. Your daughter and I have known each other for nigh on a decade now. As a crewmate and a friend, she has always been a credit to your family." He lets his gaze stray toward T'Kallah. "And I must say that our chance meeting tonight was most welcome."

"Most welcome," T'Kalla repeats.

"T'Kalla recognized you in the general audience not long after the start of the performance, and her eyes kept returning to your seat throughout," T'Vaana notes. "It required little encouragement on our part for her to seek you out at her first opportunity."

As Daughter raises an eyebrow at Mother, Tobin feels his communicator buzz in his pocket.

Cole
QuoteGear stowed, Cole turns to Sadek.

"It's your trial, mate. Lead the way".

He exaggerates a bow and indicates for the young Vulcan to choose his path.

The young Vulcan pulls out a small datapad, consulting a digital map of the area. "The treeline to the northwest is our best option; sehlat's do not like to climb."

It's at that moment that Cole's communicator beeps.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Patrick Goodman

Treyva sighed and kept walking as he pulled the device out. "If this is Kolesnikov telling me he's broken another limb, I'll have him up on charges," he said, chuckling. Flipping the communicator open, he said, "Treyva here."
"Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous." -- Captain Christopher Pike
Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

If you enjoy my work, why not buy me a coffee?

Renny

"Hold that thought," Cole reaches inside his clothing and retrieves his communicator, flipping the grid open," I should get this. Cole here."

Nolmir

"Oh, really?" Tobin looks at T'Kalla with a grin, finding amusement at what he would describe as her embarrassment, where she not Vulcan.

Quote from: Davy, aka GM on April 17, 2022, 01:47:26 AM

As Daughter raises an eyebrow at Mother, Tobin feels his communicator buzz in his pocket.

"My apologies, I should find out what this is," Tobin says as he pulls out his communicator and steps back outside the box. "Les here."

Doug Burke

QuoteSpalan is about to add to the conversation when both his and Sorak's communicators beep in near unison.

Both of Sorak's brows shoot up at the double tone. He gestures for patience to the rest of the group and takes a couple steps away for privacy before flipping open his communicator. "Sorak here."
"Plus who is going to be consoling Sorak there?"

"The commander raises a valid concern," Sorak replied with his usual aplomb, "As you can see, I am beside myself with worry."

Davy, aka GM

Treyva
Asha giggles at the thought as they continue toward the nearest public transport terminals.

"Treyva, Commodore Santiago here. I'm sorry to barge in on your lunch date," the Starfleet station CO begins. Treyva had mentioned in casual conversation yesterday that he and Asha were meeting for lunch. "But, the Vulcan liaison to my office has just told me one of your people has been arrested."

Cole
The young Vulcan nods and divides his attention between his map and the horizon where his pursuer is supposed to be hiding.

"Sir, I'm sorry to bother you on leave, but I figured you'd want to know this right away," Lt. Lear says, not wasting time with pleasantries. "There's been a murder in the city of Ta'Vistar. They're saying one of ours is a 'person of interest.'"

Sorak
As Spalan excuses himself to another room to answer his call, Sorak notes that his is from T'Kiri.

"Beloved," she says. "My brother has been murdered. There is a potential connection to your crew. I cannot say more." Sorak, familiar with the subtle details of his wife's vocal idiosyncrasies, recognizes immediately that she is quite shaken.

His father reenters the room and announces to the family, "Retired V'Kor Precinct Captain Talvar has been found deceased by violent means. Our investigators currently believe a foreign actor is responsible for the death. Sorak, I need to ask you, professionally, if you are familiar with a name."

Tobin
The trio nod respectfully as the science officer steps into the hallway to take the call.

"Commander, it's Thadis. I'm in a holding cell. The Vulcans think I killed somebody."
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."