• Welcome to Beyond the Final Frontier.

Episode 2.02: Rivulets of Copper, Eyes Aflame

Started by Davy, aka GM, March 25, 2022, 11:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davy, aka GM

Captain's Log, Stardate 8873.7: The Drake has been at 40 Eridani Shipyards over Vulcan for three weeks, continuing workups following our shakedown cruise. Our Vulcan crewmembers have taken the opportunity to schedule overdue leave, leaving Lt. Kolesnikov in charge of engineering for the maintenance period. I've counseled him that he cannot, in no uncertain terms, give into his daredevil tendencies in his off hours. I don't need him to break another leg while he's filling in for Mr. Sorak.

I have been meeting with Commodore Santiago off-and-on regarding the recent events on Neural and the greater concerns of Klingon activity that has been brought to me. Prior to our arrival, I only knew him by reputation, and the epithet of "Sant-Hedges-His-Bets" fits him well. I can't get a straight answer out of the man, even as he's shared some good insights into the overall political situation since the Mutara and Whale Probe incidents. He's scheduled a meeting on the subject with the Federation mission's chargee d'affaires, one Dr. Ratnam Suchwani.

On a personal note, Asha is on Vulcan to attend a VSA conference on "Economic Geology as the Federation Approaches a Post-Scarcity Economy." Frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't started her sleep cycle early; it sure would mine...

A private residence on the outskirts of the city of Ta'Vista...

T'Kiri secures the last fastener on her suit jacket as she examines herself in the smart glass of the master suite, visually ensuring the placement of her investigator's badge is precise. To the left of her reflected image scrolls the local and planetary news of the day, and below it is displayed a realtime local weather forecast.

Over her right shoulder, a welcome figure is sitting up in their shared bed, in a place that too often for her preferences is empty of his presence. She spares a moment to regard his bare chest and allows certain primal feelings to surface before quickly reestablishing her composure; she cannot be late to work, after all.

He looks up from his reading - another technical journal, she's certain - and their eyes meet. T'Kiri smiles at her husband, an affection that is returned in equal measure.

"I will keep you informed as to how long I am expected to remain on duty today, beloved," she says. "I am told it is just a briefing, but logic dictates that canceling leave of this kind infers a major crime was committed."

Sorak and T'Kiri had planned this break for more than a year, the Drake's chief engineer placing his request through the Vulcan Ambassador to the Federation's office, as is normal for their septennial...priorities. She had similarly been guaranteed leave for the duration of his time home, but was called to the office just this morning for reasons unspoken.

OOC: Everyone, please post an introductory scene. Feel free to place yourself anywhere on the ship or planetside; Asha is attending a conference that conveniently places her on Vulcan during the yard period, so she can spend some time with Treyva. The Starfleet Station is in ShiKahr, as is the Federation Mission to Vulcan. The shipyards are in orbit, but have planetside logistics facilities and offices in the major cities.

Major cities and districts of interest include ShiKahr (Vulcan's capital), Vulcana Regar (major city), and Raal (a coastal district with a significant Terran expat population).

Commodore Anton Alvarez Santiago is a human male of Spanish ancestry from Deneva colony. His service jacket shows he's never commanded a starship, and most of his billets have been communications and logistics posts ashore.

Dr. Suchwani is a human female of Indian ancestry from the Terra Four colony on Alpha III. You only know that she's a career diplomat, based on her public bio.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Doug Burke

Quote"I will keep you informed as to how long I am expected to remain on duty today, beloved," she says. "I am told it is just a briefing, but logic dictates that canceling leave of this kind infers a major crime was committed."

Sorak nods, still smiling at his wife, "Understood, my heart," he replies. "I will endeavor to keep myself entertained until your return, and to behave... appropriately." He flicks and eyebrow upward as punchline to the joke. "However, I will not be able to keep myself from counting the moments until you are back." He extends the first and second fingers of his right hand as he approaches T'Kiri near the door.

T'Kiri arches an eyebrow and drops her usual stoic mask into place as she brushes her own fingers against his before she leaves.

Sorak chuckles and resumes his seat and his reading.
"Plus who is going to be consoling Sorak there?"

"The commander raises a valid concern," Sorak replied with his usual aplomb, "As you can see, I am beside myself with worry."

Renny

Cole blinked in the glare. He adjusted his eye shades and wiped a weary arm across his brow. The featureless plains of the Shival Flats felt much like home, but hotter. Much hotter. He glanced back at the survival shelter and thought for a moment about climbing back in there to get out of the debilitating heat but he faltered. He knew that he'd taken his leave here because he needed to centre himself again. This place was the nearest to the outback he could find and he intended to make the most of the downtime he had been given. Besides, he thought, the sun would be setting soon which would make things a lot more comfortable out here. Almost like home, he thought to himself.

Patrick Goodman

I'm trying to cast Asha. This is not as easy as it looks....
"Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous." -- Captain Christopher Pike
Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

If you enjoy my work, why not buy me a coffee?

Nolmir

The structured and soothing melody of Delvik's Sonata No. 7 for lute and flute wafted through the night air to Tobin's seat high in the stone amphitheater in ShiKahr. As he lost himself in the composition's mathematical precision, it seemed as if the tones resolved into relaxation itself. It made him long to retrieve his kinor and join the harmony. It was a welcome reprieve from the stresses of life in Starfleet. He relished the challenges life on the Drake presented, but he had learned enough about himself to realize he needed the break as much as anyone.

But finally, the sonata's final movement resolved, and as the performers left the stage for the intermission, a murmur of appreciation rose from the audience as they politely remarked on its qualities to one another in place of applause. Tobin sighed in contentment. Three more performances were scheduled for this evening, and he intended to immerse himself in each one.

Patrick Goodman

Well, since I've got a theme going with casting youthful crushes as Treyva's wives, Asha will be played by Nancy McKeon.

Treyva leaned back in his chair and watched his second wife as she scrutinized the table where they were seated. The restaurant was a short walk away from the Vulcan Science Academy, and the tabletops were carved from sheets of local marble, deep brown shot through with veins of pale green. Treyva noticed that the green almost perfectly matched the color of Asha's eyes, and smiled.

She was a geologist by training, and had been admiring the stone all evening. Now that the waiter had cleared away their plates, she had become absorbed in it, as much for its mineralogic properties as for its beauty. He was used to this; one of the things he had fallen in love with her for was her scientific curiosity, which mirrored his own. He was fairly certain he'd had similar instances of becoming distracted by one of his interests, where she'd sat patiently until he remembered where he was.

Asha finally looked up at her husband, smiled shyly, and shook her head. "I am so sorry, beloved," she said, her voice a soft alto. "I literally saw a shiny object, it appears. What were you saying again?"

Treyva chuckled and drank some water. "I was saying that I'm fairly certain 'economic geology' is just a metaphor. Even Vulcans use them occasionally."
"Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous." -- Captain Christopher Pike
Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

If you enjoy my work, why not buy me a coffee?

Davy, aka GM

Treyva
Asha's eyes narrow, like they always do when she's gearing up for one of their scientific debates, but the corner of her mouth turns up slightly as she quips, "Listen here, Mr. Specialization-Is-For-Insects, just because you received poor marks in geology at your little Academy is no reason to cast aspersions on a legitimate subdiscipline. The poor sods who are forced to study it are very dedicated..."

She trails off, maintaining an air of...well, somewhere in between mock sympathy and mock sincerity...before she can't hold it any longer and snickers.

"Seriously, though, the conference has been surprisingly interesting. This morning, a group from the Starfleet Corps of Engineers were talking about research to replace current bulk material fabrication technology with a process they call 'raw material synthesis & replication manufacturing.' They think they're technologically a couple decades away from being able to field a functional prototype."

Taking a sip of water herself, Asha adds, "Now, you haven't said word one about it since I arrived, so I'm just going to come out and ask you: What do you think of your new ship, my love? I know how much the old Drake meant to you."

Sorak
The engineer's morning reading continues peacefully; some time after T'Kiri's departure, a message from her pops up on the margin of his reading tablet. It reads:

QuoteConfirmed that it is a major case. Leave canceled for all personnel. Expect to be home late. Recommend you visit your parents this afternoon, as scheduled. Give them my apologies.

OOC: I can't remember if we ever established if Sorak's parents were still alive, so, if I'm off, we can adjust to an uncle and aunt instead.

Tobin
Tobin is leaving the concessions with a drink when he hears a voice that should be familiar to him call his name.

"Tobin Les." The dulcet tones are decidedly feminine, but one would think he'd remember a crewmate who sounded like that.

It takes a moment for him to locate its owner, but, when he does, he's confronted by a ghost from his past; the apparition takes the form of a Vulcan woman of equal height, adorned in an elegant earthy formal wrap. Delta-radiation scarring along her left jawline interrupts her otherwise flawless amber-colored skin, and the left third of her hair is shock white in contrast to the dark brown of the rest of it. Her left arm is similarly scarred, a useless hand being held in place by a light exoskeleton brace that runs from her shoulder along the ulnar line.

T'Kalla-Nahs was an academy classmate and friend, who switched from the science track to engineering in her fourth year. Amazingly enough, she was also assigned to the Macon upon graduation. She was one of the engineers working feverishly to save the ship during the cascade failure, and Tobin only learned of her survival a month after his own rescue; her injuries were severe, including delta radiation burns from head to toe on her left side, and doctors weren't certain she'd survive beyond six months. Tobin lost track of T'Kalla during his own recovery, and never learned her fate.

Until now. Here she is, standing before him with the same implacable expression on her face, unfazed by anything, but with the warmth of friendship behind her eyes, which are as alive as ever.

OOC: Nolmir, I'll let you decide if the friendship included a romantic aspect.

Cole
As the sun hangs low over the horizon and the reds and blue of the sky are replaced with orange and purple hues, the security officer spies something in the distance: A lone figure, either cloaked or robed, seemingly jogging over the cracked earth toward him.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Renny

Cole's eyes track the figure as it approaches. He finds his canteen and takes a long drink of water and watches intently as the interloper draws nearer.

Davy, aka GM

Cole
The figure maintains a steady pace as it approaches, growing in his vision until he can determine in the slowly dimming light that it's a young Vulcan male. He doesn't appear to be wearing anything more than light desert gear and a hooded open cloak, and is carrying nothing that would indicate he's been in the wilderness for any length of time. And yet...

The young Vulcan slows his jog and his features come into clearer view; a mere boy, no more than 12 or 13 years old! And the dust on his face and clothing contradicts any assessment that his point of origin was anywhere nearby. It's incredible to consider, but this adolescent may actually have been roughing it for a few days, now.

"I thought you were a mirage at first, a figment of my imagination," the boy says by way of greeting. "But, you are here. And you are no Vulcan.

"I am Sadek. Who are you?"
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Doug Burke

Honestly, I don't think we ever established it. I'm cool with including them.

Sorak's brows furrowed momentarily in concern for his mate, but soon put it aside knowing her capabilities as an investigator and well aware that she could take care of herself, as the humans say. Bookmarking his place and shutting down hi tablet, he considered T'Kiri's suggestion. It had been several years since he last spoke with his parents, and it may be enjoyable to spend some time with them.

He turned the tablet into a landscape orientation and pressed the controls to activate its communication software. "Connect me with Provincial Commander Spalan, please."
"Plus who is going to be consoling Sorak there?"

"The commander raises a valid concern," Sorak replied with his usual aplomb, "As you can see, I am beside myself with worry."

Davy, aka GM

Sorak
Moments later, a face appears on the screen, an eyebrow arching up immediately.

Sorak shares more features in common with his mother than his father, but Sonek inherited many of his paternal grandfather's traits, and the Drake's engineer sees his son's likely future appearance in the man before him.

"Son," Spalan intones. "I was just informed that T'Kiri's district has called in all off-duty personnel. Do you two need to reschedule your visit? Your sisters are...looking forward to seeing you."
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Renny

Quote from: Davy, aka GM on March 29, 2022, 10:48:22 PM
Cole
"I am Sadek. Who are you?"

Cole extended his hand in a very human greeting.

"G'day, Sadek. My name is Durham Cole...Lt Durham Cole. USS Drake. I'm pleased to make your acquaintance."

He looked around them, taking in the bleak beauty of the view.

"Kind of thought I had the desert to myself."

Nolmir

"Oh, T'kallah!" Tobin replies dumbly, staring for a moment before his brain is able to catch up to her unexpected appearance. "I'm sorry, I meant to write, but after everything that happened, I suppose I lost track. Well, we lost so many friends that day, and I'm sure your convalescence wasn't an easy one either..." Tobin trails off and blushes as he realizes he is beginning to babble.

Despite her injuries, he still found T'kallah stunning. Though they had called it a mutual decision to stop dating, it had taken Tobin some weeks to get over the breakup. Thankfully, in her infinite patience, T'kallah hadn't taken offense to his moping withdrawal, and they had remained friends.

"Um, let me start over." The Trill laughs self-consciously and extends a hand. "It's good to see you, T'Kallah; it's been far too long," he says warmly.

OOC: Let's say that Tobin and T'Kallah had developed a romantic relationship, but then decided to keep things at a friendship level before everything blew up on the Macon.

Davy, aka GM

Cole
Quote from: Renny on March 30, 2022, 04:29:26 PM
Cole extended his hand in a very human greeting.

"G'day, Sadek. My name is Durham Cole...Lt Durham Cole. USS Drake. I'm pleased to make your acquaintance."

When Cole offers his hand in greeting, the young Vulcan simply stares at it, both eyebrows raised. His gaze shifts between the hand and meeting Cole's eyes a few times; it becomes clear the lad has no idea what to do with that gesture, and instead uncomfortably places his hands behind his back as he returns his expression (with a little effort) to something more neutral.

Quote from: Renny on March 30, 2022, 04:29:26 PMHe looked around them, taking in the bleak beauty of the view.

"Kind of thought I had the desert to myself."

Sadek straightens, and a quizzical eyebrow shoots up. "That is an illogical assumption to make, Lt. Durham Cole, given that desert biome fauna are just as diverse as their counterparts in different climes. One would expect an experienced desert-dweller such as yourself --"

The boy catches himself as he appears to recognize the true nature of the Aussie's statement.

"My apologies; you meant you did not expect to see another sentient being while you camped," he admits. "In that, I suspect that you would be correct. I do not have enough variables to calculate exact odds, but I understand my arrival could easily be seen as 'unexpected.'

"However, it is also fortunate that I happened upon your encampment. I am being hunted."

OOC: Sorry, Tobin, that I didn't get to you tonight. I'll work on something tomorrow.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Davy, aka GM

Quote from: Nolmir on March 30, 2022, 07:19:17 PM"Um, let me start over." The Trill laughs self-consciously and extends a hand. "It's good to see you, T'Kallah; it's been far too long," he says warmly.

She turns her head slightly and raises an eyebrow, a subtle sign of affection, especially when he gets flustered around her. T'Kalla steps closer, offering her working hand in that feminine way for him to take - an ancient ritual she learned from human history that seemed to be a comfortable middle between Trill tendencies toward physical displays of affection and her traditional Vulcan stoicism - and she responds, "My recovery was bolstered by the knowledge that someone important to me survived and returned to the work he so loves."

As the science officer takes her hand raises it to his lips to kiss, he catches the slightest upturn of one corner of her mouth as she adds, "It is quite pleasing to see you again, Tobin. Your absence was palpable."

Their ritual complete, T'Kalla's facade of stoicism returns as she returns her hand to her side and asks, "Will you be staying for the remainder of the performances?"
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."