Focuses
Debate, Diplomacy, Klingon Culture, Lead by Example, Observation, Willpower

Values
Curiosity Is Its Own Reward
Family Is Paramount
Specialization Is for Insects
To Your Own Self Be True

Talents
Advanced Team Dynamics: The first time each adventure that you introduce a supporting character, that supporting character may take one additional option to improve the supporting character.
Cultural Flexibility: When you attempt a Task to learn about an unfamiliar culture, or to act in an appropriate manner when interacting with members of such a culture, you reduce the Difficulty by 1.
Defuse the Tension: Whenever you attempt a Task to persuade someone not to resort to violence, you may add a bonus d20 to your dice pool.
Follow My Lead: Once per scene, when you succeed at a Task during Combat or another perilous situation, you may spend one Determination. If you do, choose a single ally. The next Task that ally attempts counts as having assistance from you, using your Presence + Command.
Veteran: Whenever the character spends a point of Determination, roll 1 [CD]. If an Effect is rolled, immediately regain that spent point of Determination.

Role
Commanding Officer: The commanding officer may spend a point of Determination to grant any other character they can communicate with one point of Determination; this does not have to be linked to a Value.

Decorations
Starfleet Citation for Conspicuous Gallantry: Once per mission, when the character pays for an Immediate Momentum Spend (of any kind) by adding to Threat, they may roll 1 [CD]  per point of Threat added. For each Effect rolled, one of the points just added to Threat is removed immediately.
Star Cross: Once per mission, before attempting a Task and applying a Focus, the character may choose to double their Focus range. For the Task, the character will score two successes for any die that rolls equal to or less than twice their Discipline score. If, for example, the character has a Discipline score of 4, then any die that rolls an 8 or lower scores 2 Successes for that Task.

Attacks
Phaser Type 2 (Ranged, 5 [CD], Size 1H, Charge)
Unarmed Strike (Melee, 3 [CD] Knockdown, Size 1H, Non-lethal)
"Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous." -- Captain Christopher Pike
Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

If you enjoy my work, why not buy me a coffee?

Patrick Goodman

Episode 1.1: Starting Reputation 10 - 1 positive - roll 8 - 1 Success = +1 Reputation = 11
Episode 1.2: Starting Reputation 11 - 2 positive - roll 10, 18 - 1 Success = +1 Reputation = 12
Episode 1.3: Starting Reputation 12 - 2 positive - roll 10, 13 - 1 Success = +1 Reputation = 13
Episode 1.4: Starting Reputation 13 - 2 positive, 2 negative - roll 8, 18 - 1 Success, 1 Responsibility = -3 Reputation = 10
Episode 1.5: Starting Reputation 10 - 2 positive, 1 negative - roll 2, 11 - 1 Successes = +1 Reputation = 11
Episode 1.6: Starting Reputation 11 - 3 positive, 1 negative - roll 11, 15, 16 - 1 Success = +0 Reputation = 11
Episode 1.7: Starting Reputation 11 - 1 positive - roll 6 - 1 Success = +1 Reputation = 12
Episode 1.8: Starting Reputation 12 - 1 positive - roll 7 - 1 Success = +1 Reputation = 13
Episode 1.9: Starting Reputation 13 - 2 positive - roll 13, 19 - 1 Success, 1 Responsibility = +1 Reputation = 14
Episode 1.10: Starting Reputation 14 - 2 positive, 1 negative - roll 9, 11 - 2 Successes = +2 Reputation = 15
Episode 1.11: Starting Reputation 15 - 3 positive - roll 8, 18, 13 - 2 Successes = +2 Reputation = 15 (Awarded the Citation for Conspicuous Gallantry)
Episode 1.12: Starting Reputation 15 - 3 positive - roll 3, 18, 2 - 4 Successes = +4 Reputation = 16 (Logged commendations to Sorak, Dourap, and Cole for remaing 3 points)
Episode 1.13: Starting Reputation 16 - 4 positive - roll 2, 12, 14, 19 - 4 Successes = +4 Reputation = 17 (Awarded the Star Cross)
Episode 2.01: Starting Reputation 17 - 2 positive - roll 12, 12 - 2 Successes = +2 Reputation = 19

Patrick Goodman

Milestones & Advancement

Milestone 01 - Spotlight 01
Milestone 02 - Spotlight 02

Incorporated during conversion to 2d20 from CODA

Milestone 03 - Arc 01
Normal Milestone Benefit -- Science 5 to Science 4, Command 3 to Command 4
Spotlight Milestone Benefit -- Reason 11 to Reason 10, Insight 9 to Insight 10
Arc Milestone Benefit -- Add Veteran Talent.

Milestone 04 - Spotlight 03
Normal Milestone Benefit - Change Sensor Operations Focus to Diplomacy
Spotlight Milestone Benefit - Delete Cautious (Science) Talent, add Follow My Lead

Milestone 05 - Spotlight 04
Normal Milestone Benefit - Change Scientific Protocols Focus to Klingon Culture
Spotlight Milestone Benefit - Insight 10 to Insight 9, Presence 9 to Presence 10

Milestone 06 - Spotlight 05
Normal Milestone Benefit - Change Human Expressions Focus to Lead by Example
Spotlight Milestone Benefit - Engineering 2 to Engineering 1, Command 4 to Command 5

Milestone 07 - Arc 02
Normal Milestone Benefit -- Used for Katarina Schrepfermann -- Engineering 2 to Engineering 1, Security 3 to Security 4
Spotlight Milestone Benefit -- Used for Zorana -- Fitness 9 to Fitness 8, Presence 9 to Presence 10
Arc Milestone Benefit -- Science 4 to Science 5

Milestone 08 - Spotlight 06
Normal Milestone Benefit - Change Computers Focus to Debate
Spotlight Milestone Benefit - Delete Technical Expertise Talent, add Advanced Team Dynamics

Patrick Goodman

Patrick Goodman

Determination & Decoration Use

-1 point, Episode 1.11, reply #709 -- 0 remaining
Refreshed at opening of Episode 1.12
-1 point, Episode 2.01, reply #823 -- 0 remaining
Star Cross used, Episode 2.01, reply #823
+1 point, Episode 2.01, reply #832 -- 1 remaining
Starfleet Citation for Conspicuous Gallantry used, Episode 2.01, reply #1081
- 1 point, Episode 2.01, reply #1169
+ 1 point, Episode 2.01, reply #1170
-1 Determination, Episode 2.02, reply #672 - 0 remaining
+1 Determination (due to Veteran talent), Episode 2.02, reply #673 - 1 remaining

Patrick Goodman

Born: 02 April 2239 (Terran calendar) in Biras, Denobula.

Height: 188 cm (6'2")    Weight: 90.7 kg (200 lbs)    Eyes: Brown     Hair: Brown

General Description: Tall, with an average-to-husky build.  Contrary to most Denobulans, even those in Starfleet, he wears his hair in a close-cropped military style.  Treyva is an amiable individual, and gets along with just about everyone. He tends to address his subordinates by their first names during most situations, reverting to a more formal form of address in crisis situations.

Cadet Cruise

Sophomore year at Star Fleet Academy (2269-70)
Military Mission (assigned to Larson-class destroyer U.S.S. Eylau)
Passed

Tours of Duty

Tour 01:
     Assignment: Exploration mission (Hermes-class scout U.S.S. Hermes)
     Length: Six years
     OER: As expected
     Renown: +6 (6 advancements)

Tour 02:
     Assignment: Exploration mission (Anton-class light cruiser U.S.S. Drake)
     Length: Seven years
     OER: Outstanding
     Renown: +9 (7 advancements, +2 for Outstanding OER)

Patrick Goodman

Treyva didn't start out in life to be a Star Fleet officer. He never intended to join Star Fleet in the first place. In fact, he hadn't made many plans at all. Brought up the child of noted scientists on Denobula, he had rather thought that he would just follow along in their footsteps...as they expected him to do.

That was really the part that galled him. He came to the conclusion that virtually none of his life choices had, in fact, been made on his own. Furthermore, he had little interest in his birth parents' specialties (both of them were experts in molecular biochemistry), and didn't really see much need for specializing in the first place. He loved science for its own sake, and was as likely to be found poring over a mathematics text as he was conducting an obscure warp physics experiment. Frustrated by the pressure to specialize and make his own name in Denobulan academia and science journals, he left home at 20 and wandered. His birth parents, assuming he lacked ambition and tired of arguing with him, largely wrote him off and let him leave, and his extended parents from their other marriages didn't argue their decision.

In 2264, at the age of 25, he was attending a scientific conference on Dekendi III and chanced to meet a personal hero of his...the elderly Dr. Phlox, perhaps the most famous Denobulan in recent history. The two hit it off, and spent the next several days discussing various aspects of things. When Treyva mentioned his parents' frustration with him, Phlox related some of his difficulties with his own parents as well as his children, and opined that the younger Denobulan should seek his own path. Patience and generalism, he said, did not mean a lack of ambition. He also mentioned to the younger man that his own experiences in Earth's Star Fleet a century earlier had made a profound impression on him.

Treyva took that to heart and pondered it for some time before applying to, and being accepted by, Star Fleet Academy at the age of 29 in 2268. He graduated near the top of his class in 2272, and was posted to the USS Hermes as a junior science officer. There, his generalist nature served him well, affording him a number of opportunities that would not have been offered to a more specialized scientist.

He also discovered that he excelled in the structured world of Star Fleet, and his personable nature made him a natural leader. He quickly became first the deputy chief, and then the chief, science officer on board the Hermes. In 2278, he was transferred to the USS Drake as the chief science officer. In 2283, after the death of the ship's XO on an away mission, Treyva was promoted to lieutenant commander and assigned as Drake's XO, though still maintaining the chief science officer position.

In 2285, his career and his life took an extremely unexpected turn. The Drake, coming out of a major refit, had been placed under the command of Captain Gregory Bong, a Star Fleet veteran with an extensive and illustrious record. Assigned to a shakedown patrol on the border of the Mutara Sector, they found themselves in pursuit of a stolen USS Enterprise into the heart of the Mutara Nebula, which had been transformed into a star system by the Genesis device some weeks earlier. As they were preparing to enter the system in an attempt to apprehend Enterprise and Admiral James T. Kirk, Captain Bong suffered a massive stroke, leaving Treyva in command of the Drake under combat conditions.

He succeeded in his first mission as the ship's acting captain, and was ready to return the ship to Bong's command when it was determined that the captain's condition was career-ending. Treyva was kept in the position of acting captain while a replacement for Bong was sought by Star Fleet Command. It was in that capacity that he reached an unusual diplomatic solution on Sigma Iotia II when that planet's leadership found itself in peril.

Shortly after that incident, Treyva found himself promoted to the rank of commander and officially made the captain of the USS Drake.

Patrick Goodman

Treyva is a family man, though his frequent deployments with Starfleet keep him away from home for long periods.  As is customary with his people, he married three women, each of whom was also married to two other men.

Despite long absences, Treyva is a devoted family man who communicates with his family regularly.  He tries not to play favorites with his children, but dotes on his youngest daughter.

He married his first wife, Liera (2237-present), in 2261.  They have one daughter, Miral (2273-present).  Liera is a surgeon, maintaining a medical practice in their home city of Biras on Denobula.  Miral aspires to follow her father into Starfleet when she's old enough, and eagerly awaits stories of his travels.

He married his second wife, Asha (2239-present), in 2263.  They also have a daughter together, Anari (2276-present).  Asha is a geologist.  Anari is a talented musician, but she's only 9 and doesn't really know what she wants to be when she grows up.

He married his third wife, Sabra (2245-2283), in 2264. They had one son together, Tanis (2274-present). Sabra was a gifted artist, well-known in her region, who specialized in sculpture (though she was also a talented photographer and painter).  Tanis appears to have inherited her love of the arts and at least a portion of her talent.

Sabra was killed in a shuttle accident en route to a showing of her work in 2283.  Tanis was devastated, as might be expected, and has only begun to come out of his depression in the past six or seven months.  Treyva also took it hard, and nearly resigned from Starfleet to be with his family, but Liera and Asha wouldn't hear of it, and insisted that Sabra also wouldn't want him to sacrifice his career.  It's been three years, and all of them are beginning to think that perhaps it's time for Treyva to marry again and restore the balance of their marriage.  Her other two husbands have already remarried.  He rarely speaks of her death.  The only members of the crew of the Drake who know what happened are Lt. Natei Konastas, Lt. Paula Tyler, and Dr. Katrina Gordon.

A sculpture Sabra made of Treyva holding their infant son in his arms now holds pride of place in his quarters, which are liberally decorated with images of his entire family, to include the sister-wives and brother-husbands (some made by Sabra, some his own work, some the work of other family members).

Patrick Goodman

Denobulan Pronunciation Guide

Anari - uh-NAR-ee
Asha - AH-shuh
Biras - BEER-us
Bogga - BOW-guh
Dara - DAH-ruh
Garris - GAIR-us
Klaban - CLAY-ben
Liera - lee-AIR-uh
Miral - mere-ALL
Moga - MOW-guh
Sabra - SAY-bruh
Selanna - SAY-lah-nuh
Stenna - STEN-uh
Tanis - TAN-is
Tikos - TIE-cohs
Treyva - TRAY-vuh
Vas - VOZ
Zorana - zo-RAH-nuh

Patrick Goodman

Family Tree (s)
(an on-going project which, for a Denobulan, is more of a tangled shrub than you might realize, and quite a chore)

This is going to be ongoing, mostly for my reference, and virtually impossible for me to graph properly here on the forums. I'll do what I can, however.

Treyva -- Liera       -- Asha        -- Sabra (dec.)
                (d) Miral   (d) Anari      (s) Tanis

Liera  -- Treyva      -- Garris      -- Klaban
              (d) Miral      (s) Davos   (d) Losha
                                   (s) Zaylan  (s) Bogga
                                   (d) Lexa

Asha   -- Treyva      -- Vas         -- Tikos
               (d) Anari      (s) Bogga  (d) Selanna
                                    (d) Dara

Sabra  -- Treyva       -- Moga       -- Stenna
                (s) Tanis

Okay, from this we can tell that, as far as birth-matchings are concerned from Treyva's side of things, that all three of his children are "only" children. Each wife has two more husbands, though, so all three of the children are half-siblings with each other, and presumably each of the wives has had other children by her other husbands. This is where things get complex; I think that Treyva's family, while he focuses on his three direct offspring, is considerably larger than he lets on.

That's another reason that he can be gone for long periods of time without fearing for his kids: They've got an impressive support system. Tanis, for instance, splits time between Sabra's other two husbands and Treyva's other two wives.

Okay, for future record-keeping purposes:

Treyva -- Liera, Asha, Sabra
Liera -- Treyva, Garris, Klaban
Asha -- Treyva, Vas, Tikos
Sabra -- Treyva, Moga, Stenna

I'm not going to go in-depth at this point with the permutations of the ladies' other husbands. That would drive me nuts, I think. But I'm going with the assumption that all of the ladies have other children via their other husbands, and later I'll start mapping that out.

It's harder thinking like a Denobulan than you might believe.