• Welcome to Beyond the Final Frontier.

Episode 2.01: Brushfire!

Started by Davy, aka GM, February 14, 2020, 05:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davy, aka GM

OOC: 1 Momentum spent to Obtain Information, 2 Momentum to Create Advantage (though I created it as a Disadvantage for opponents)

Current
Momentum: 4
Threat: 10

Well-Oiled Machine Advantage (PCs; when a PC or supporting character assists a PC on a task, the task's Difficulty is reduced by 1)
On Their Toes Disadvantage (Opponents; Difficulty to surprise the crew is increased by 1)

Further analysis shows the distinct signature of Klingon disruptor and torpedo damage on the debris. The damage is several days old, possibly even 10, and is currently the only evidence of Klingon ships in the system.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Nolmir

Tobin looks back up, swiveling his chair toward Treyva. "I'm detecting Klingon disruptor and torpedo signatures on the debris, sir. It appears to be several days old, possibly a week or more. But if there are Klingons in the system, I see no sign of them at present."

Renny

Hearing this, Cole leans into his tactical display, as if by concentrating hard enough, he can wring more information out of the ships sensors.

Patrick Goodman

"Damn," Treyva muttered. He rose from the command chair and approached the science station. "Verify it's the Rostov, and scan for escape pods, both in orbit and on the planet's surface."
"Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous." -- Captain Christopher Pike
Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

If you enjoy my work, why not buy me a coffee?

Davy, aka GM

OOC: Patrick has approved spending 2 Momentum to answer the questions implied in Treyva's order.

Current
Momentum: 2
Threat: 10

Lt. Cmdr. Les is able to locate a log buoy on the outer edge of the debris that responds to the scan signature by identifying itself as belonging to the Rostov. Sensors also locate four "mostly-intact" escape pods that appear to have been still attached to the ship when it was destroyed; two have bodies within them. No other escape pods are in orbit, and atmospheric effects prevent a detailed scan of the surface from this distance. The ship will have to get into orbit to get a better look.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Patrick Goodman

OOC: Surely I can wait another ten minutes or so....

Treyva turned to Communications. "Miguel, notify Starfleet that we have arrived in the Zeta Bootis system and are on orbital approach to Neural. We have found the remains of the Rostov; weapon signatures indicate it was destroyed by Klingons. No known survivors at this time. We will report at regular intervals."

Davy, aka GM

Captain's Log, Stardate 8847.3: We've entered orbit around Neural and brought on board the log buoy from the Rostov. Another horror greeted us upon our arrival: the grisly remains of 60-or-so of the Rostov's crew spread out among the debris (representing about 40 percent of her complement). Sensors located escape pods scattered across two locations; the majority landed about five kilometers from the lowland village. while a smaller number peppered a remote hillside area...

OOC: Do you folks want to do a briefing room scene to go over the report from the log buoy, start scanning for survivors, or something else?
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Nolmir

OOC: I vote we start with the log buoy and maybe get an idea of what we're dealing with before we get into too much trouble.

Patrick Goodman

They both gotta get done. Makes sense to me to do the scans first since we're still on the brodge, then adjourn to the briefing room to check out the buoy.

Do records indicate whether the Neuralese scan as Human or not?

Davy, aka GM

OOC: The inhabitants of Neural are human.

The sensor task will be a Reason + Science vs. Difficulty 2, assisted by the ship's Sensors + Science. The Difficulty is reduced to 1 by the ship's Advanced Sensor Suites.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Patrick Goodman

"Before we look at this log buoy, Mr. Les," Treyva said, "let's see if we can find the other 90 or so people from the Rostov. The natives are Human, according to the records; let's concentrate on non-Human lifesigns around the areas where we found the lifepods. At least for the moment."

Nolmir

"Aye sir, conducting scans."

OOC: Reason (11) + Science (5) vs Difficulty 1
Rolled 2d20 : 6, 9, total 15

Ship's assist: Sensors (9) + Sensors (2)
Rolled 1d20 : 3, total 3

Patrick Goodman

Renny

Davy, aka GM

OOC: 3 Successes vs. Difficulty 1. Success, plus 2 Momentum generated.

Current
Momentum 2 (2 pending, Tobin)
Threat 10

Consulting the ship's database on the Rostov's crew, Tobin discovers that a dozen Tellarites serve in the engineering department. On the hopes that at least a couple were able to escape the ship's destruction, he starts scanning for Tellarite lifeforms. As luck would have it, he finds five.

They're located in a pair of structures in the village near one cluster of escape pods, with several dozen humans around them; most are concentrated in what appears to be in two large subterranean rooms near the center of the village. While most of the humans seem to be moving about, the Tellarites and more than 40 humans are mostly stationary.

Tobin also notices that there are a number of humanoid life forms on a hill away from any Tyreen encampment, and within 5km of the second escape pod cluster.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."