• Welcome to Beyond the Final Frontier.

Episode 2.01: Brushfire!

Started by Davy, aka GM, February 14, 2020, 05:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Burke

So I see 5 successes. Depending on the status of the Engineering Department Advantage that gives us either 4 or 5 Momentum. How's my math, boss?
"Plus who is going to be consoling Sorak there?"

"The commander raises a valid concern," Sorak replied with his usual aplomb, "As you can see, I am beside myself with worry."

Davy, aka GM

OOC: 5 Successes vs. Difficulty 1 (reduced to Difficulty 0 with Engineering Department Advantage). Success, plus 5 Momentum generated!

Current
Momentum: 1 (5 pending, Sorak)
Threat: 10

Spend and/or bank?
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Davy, aka GM

With only a little coaxing from the engineering staff, the engines are able to maintain warp 10 for the duration of the Drake's three-day transit to the Zeta Bootis system. As the ship crosses the heliopause, it encounters Starfleet automated buoys requesting IFF, which the Drake transmits automatically; Miguel reports the buoys are broadcasting their standard warning that Neural is a Federation protectorate.

The crew brings the ship out of warp near the sixth planet, a massive gas giant with an extensive ring system that resembles an accretion disk in its breadth and density, and begins a cautious approach to Neural in the third orbit. Sensors pick up no power signatures on this side of the star as the ship winds its way past the fourth planet (a small, cool, rocky world with little atmosphere).

OOC: Okay, Neural is about a third of an AU ahead, 23 degrees to port...a 12 minute jaunt at one-quarter impulse.

Someone take us in and tell me what you want to do. :)
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Patrick Goodman

Treyva leaned forward in the command chair, hands on his knees. He eyed the viewscreen apprehensively. "Maria, standard orbital approach," he said finally. "Tobin, look for the Rostov."

He paused for a moment, his eyes never leaving the screen. "Mr. Cole, take the ship to yellow alert."
"Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous." -- Captain Christopher Pike
Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

If you enjoy my work, why not buy me a coffee?

Doug Burke

I'd like to use 2 Momentum to Create Advantage. Like a bonus on tasks successfully assisted by another character (not the ship, actual characters, and they have to get at least one success), call it "Well-Oiled Machine." After that, bank the rest.
"Plus who is going to be consoling Sorak there?"

"The commander raises a valid concern," Sorak replied with his usual aplomb, "As you can see, I am beside myself with worry."

Davy, aka GM

Current
Momentum: 4

Well-Oiled Machine Advantage (when a PC or supporting character assists a PC on a task, the task's Difficulty is reduced by 1)

Nolmir, this is a Sensor Sweep task for Tobin.

Reason + Science vs. Difficulty 0, assisted by the ship's Sensors + Science.

"Standard approach, aye, sir," Maria replies as she works the helm controls. "Estimated time to orbit: twelve minutes."
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Renny

Quote from: Patrick Goodman on February 25, 2020, 03:24:01 PM
He paused for a moment, his eyes never leaving the screen. "Mr. Cole, take the ship to yellow alert."

Cole depresses the ship status key on his console sharply, having anticipated the order. The bridge alert indicators flicker to reflect the ship's new level of readiness. His tactical display updates to show the responses from across the ship to the heightened state of alert.

"Yellow alert, aye sir!", Cole responds crisply.

Patrick Goodman

Shouldn't the Momentum pool be at 4? Doug spent 2 out of 5 on the Advantage, leaving 3, which would make 4 with the 1 point I had already banked. Unless I missed something, which is by no means out of the question. (That, or Davy typoed as bad as I usually do....)

Davy, aka GM

OOC: It's the latter. I'll fix it.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Nolmir

OOC: Reason (11) + Science (5) vs. Difficulty 0
Rolled 2d20 : 14, 13, total 27

Ship's assist
Sensors (9) + Science (2)
Rolled 1d20 : 6, total 6

Patrick Goodman

Davy, aka GM

OOC: 3 Successes vs. Difficulty 0. Success, plus 3 Momentum generated.

You folks will need to spend at least 1 Momentum.

Current
Momentum: 4 (3 pending, Tobin; 1 must be spent or lost)

Tobin trains the sensors on Neural, and detects duranium fragments that are consistent with debris; the sensors soon return a field of debris starting to thin out in orbit, and the duranium composition is consistent with a Federation-built vessel.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Patrick Goodman

Personal recommendation: Spend a point on Obtain Information and determine the cause of the ship's destruction.

Nolmir

"Sir," Tobin says, glancing briefly up from the sensor hood. "The sensors have detected a debris field. Based on the duranium composition, the vessel appears to have been of Federation origin." He returns his focus to sensor instruments as he continues his examination.

OOC: I'll use Studious to Obtain Information and ask two questions -- what caused the ship's destruction, and are there any indications that a Klingon ship has been in the system recently? And then spend the other two Momentum to Create Advantage; something like "On Our Toes" for a bonus to avoid being surprised.

Patrick Goodman

OOC: Gonna wait until Mr. Les gets the rest of his info before jumping in.