Episode 2.01: Brushfire!

Started by Davy, aka GM, February 14, 2020, 05:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renny

OOC: Total of 4 successes, I make it.

Nolmir

OOC: Tobin's Insight (9) + Science (5) vs. Difficulty 2
Rolled 2d20 : 2, 16, total 18

Ship's assist: Sensors (9) + Security (3)
Rolled 1d20 : 16, total 16

Doug Burke

Nikolai reports to the bridge whistling a Russian piece in a minor key. He approaches the helm console and smiles at the fact that Maria DelVecchio used to intimidate him beyomd speech in the Academy. He shakes his head and starts removing the access panels facing the main view screen and grins at Maria, "I hear you broke helm console. No worries. We fix quick and easy."

Nikolai Helm Console repair: Control (10) + Engineering (4) vs. Difficulty 1. Assisted by Maria Control (10) + Engineering (3).

Nikolai: [roll]2d20[/]

Maria: [roll]1d20[/]

Sorak, meanwhile, heads to the junction that failed, team of engineers in his wake. "I expect little trouble, ladies and gentlemen, as long as you continue to provide your usual exemplary efforts."

Sorak, Phaser Power Systems repair: Control (10) + Engineering (5) vs. Difficulty 2 lowered to 1 by Engineering Department ability. Power Systems focus should apply, 1 Momentum to gain an additional die.

Rolled 3d20 : 14, 6, 10, total 30

"Plus who is going to be consoling Sorak there?"

"The commander raises a valid concern," Sorak replied with his usual aplomb, "As you can see, I am beside myself with worry."

Doug Burke

Corrected rolls for Nikolai and Maria:

Nikolai:
Rolled 2d20 : 2, 7, total 9

Maria:
Rolled 1d20 : 10, total 10

"The commander raises a valid concern," Sorak replied with his usual aplomb, "As you can see, I am beside myself with worry."

Doug Burke

So Nikolai is net 3 successes and Sorak is net 3 successes. Both succeed with two Momentum?

Davy, aka GM

OOC: Results
Sorak
Partial Phaser Power Failure repair: Acknowledge spending 1 Momentum to Create Opportunity (3rd d20)
3 Successes vs. Difficulty 1. Success, plus 2 Momentum generated! Partial Phaser Power Failure Complication removed.

Helm Console Damage repair: Because this is Nikolai's introduction to the episode, I added the Electronics focus to his character sheet, which immediately applies.
Nikolai now has 3 Successes, and Maria adds 1 Success, for a total of 4 Successes vs. Difficulty 1. Success, plus 3 Momentum generated! Helm Console Damage Complication removed.

Tobin
Tobin rolls 1 Success, but the ship is no help. 1 Success vs. Difficulty 2. Failure. I'm interpreting this failure as "there's untoward going on at all," rather than a system or operator problem.

Cole
Dourap scores 3 Successes, and Casey adds 1 Success, for a total of 4 Successes vs. Difficulty 2. Success, plus 2 Momentum generated. Dourap immediately spends 1 Momentum to clear both of Cole's Injury-Related Complications.

Jeffries Tube 4-36
Sorak and his team work quickly and efficiently, as usual, and replace all three power junctions without difficulty. As they collectively examine the damage, they find all three were burned out, as if overloaded by a surge. Petty Officer Wise suggests that the cause of the surge might be a regulator upstream; concurring, Sorak directs her and the other younger enlists to inspect Power Distribution Regulator 2.2B, where they discover a manufacturer's defect in the system. The Drake was destined to experience the failure months before the ship was even commissioned.

The engineers fabricate, test, and install a replacement within the hour.

Bridge - Helm Station
"You'd think my brain and fingers stopped talking to each other or something," the helm officer quips as she stands from the conn and meets the engineer at her damaged station, the corner of her mouth curling up into a wry smile. They set to work as a petty officer fetches a replacement module to replace the damaged section, and have the console back to full function before the captain returns to the bridge. Nikolai also checks Katya's station, finding only a single circuit board that needs replacing; he does so with little effort.

Bridge - Science Station
Tobin spends most of his time under the sensor hood, monitoring the Klingon's activities. Nothing. No subterfuge. No hijinks. Nothing to suggest the enemy is doing anything other than what they said they'd do. At one point, he notices the scout's black box is gathered up.

When he reports his lack of finding to the conn, Maria pops up from her work on the helm and acknowledges, then orders the shields down and the bridge defense field activated.

A little bit later, the L-9 conducting transporter ops lowers its orbit and appears to beam something up from the planet. He remembers at least two dead Klingons from Captain Styles' pre-dawn ambush. When that's completed, the Saber climbs into formation with its sister ship.

Sickbay
If Dr. Dourap had a bedside manner to match his unparalleled surgical skill, he'd clearly be on the fast track to lead Starfleet Medical. As it was, though, his deficiency was to the good fortune of the Drake's crew, especially Lt. Cole at this moment. The good doctor operates with great precision and gets the young security chief back on the road to recovery.

Cole awakes to Casey's voice, as he updates the captain on injuries sustained during the skirmish, which was only a few minor injuries from the Drake itself doing what the Klingons couldn't.

"We'd like to see Maria and Katya down here as soon as you can get someone to relieve them," he notes. It isn't a rebuke, really, but the head nurse gently nudging his commanding officer to not overlook even minor troubles, like a "slight" burn. "Captain Styles is at the end, sir. He's resting comfortably; please don't wake him if he's sleeping, though."

Treyva walks over to Styles' bed, where his fellow captain appears to be sleeping. Before the Denobulan can turn to leave, Styles says (with his eyes still closed), "I'm awake, Treyva. How did we do?"

Meanwhile, Casey notices Cole has stirred and walks over to his bed. "How are we feeling, Mr. Cole?"

OOC: Feel free to continue RP. Treyva's conversation with Styles is important plot-wise, and will lead to a decision for you folks.

You folks generated a total of 7 Momentum, with Dourap immediately spending 1. This means you need to spend 3 more Momentum or lose them.

The Wounded
Kowalski - Injury/Stable

Current
Momentum 3 (6 pending - 2 Sorak, 3 Nikolai, 1 Dourap; 3 must be spent or lost)
Threat 0

Advantages & Complications
Well-Oiled Machine Advantage (Drake; when a PC or supporting character assists a PC on a shipboard task)
Educated Guess Advantage (Drake; when using ship's sensors to actively scan for cloaked ships)
...And It's Contagious Complication (L-9A; when attempting a Fire Torpedoes Task)
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Renny

"Confused, Doc", Cole replies with a rasp in his voice, "What did I miss?"

Patrick Goodman

Did we really make it out of the fight on the ground with only two Starfleet deaths?
"Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous." -- Captain Christopher Pike
Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

If you enjoy my work, why not buy me a coffee?

Davy, aka GM

OOC: Well, 2 dead out of 12 Starfleet personnel on the ground, with 4 more injured. (So 50% casualties.)

The Tyreen healers actually stabilized a couple of the Rostov wounded.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Davy, aka GM

Quote from: Renny on February 16, 2022, 04:57:41 PM
"Confused, Doc", Cole replies with a rasp in his voice, "What did I miss?"

"Oh...not much: A Tyreen victory on the ground, an air victory against the Bird of Prey," the head nurse quips, "oh, and an exchange of fire with a pair of L-9s, followed by a sudden truce. Not bad for a few hours' rest, eh?"

As he talks, Casey runs a medical Feinberger over Cole, comparing the readings he gets there with the data from the biobed monitors.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Renny

Cole blinked at Casey in surprise. "For real? I need to get to the bridge." Cole struggled to push himself up from the biobed.

Davy, aka GM

Quote from: Renny on February 17, 2022, 04:14:20 PM
Cole blinked at Casey in surprise. "For real? I need to get to the bridge." Cole struggled to push himself up from the biobed.

A gentle hand is all Casey needs to prevent the wounded man from moving any further; Cole just doesn't have the energy to push past even the head nurse's casual strength. "Not so fast, jackaroo; you're going nowhere," he says. "Fight's over and the Klingons are behaving. Your orders are to rest for a day or two."
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Patrick Goodman

Treyva pulled up a stool and sat down next to the injured captain. "We won," he said matter-of-factly. "We lost Egemond and Kitoriyama, I'm afraid, and very nearly you, Reed, Kowalski, and Cole, but we won." He went on to explain how things went for his team on the ground, and then told him about the comedy of errors that had resulted in the truce with the Klingons.

Davy, aka GM

Quote from: Patrick Goodman on February 18, 2022, 08:58:46 PM
Treyva pulled up a stool and sat down next to the injured captain. "We won," he said matter-of-factly. "We lost Egemon and Kitoriyama, I'm afraid, and very nearly you, Reed, Kowalski, and Cole, but we won."

"Damn. Both good crewmen," the Rostov's captain replies, his face darkening a little. "I had recommended Kitoriyama for the Academy - the acceptance list is due out in a couple of weeks, and we were hopeful. A couple of her friends were already planning a party for her.

"'Eggsy' had a large family; four older brothers in Starfleet, all enlisted. He told me about the last family reunion, the five of them all decked out in their dress jumpers, first time they were all together since before he joined. Said his grandfather was grinning from ear-to-ear the entire time, he was so proud. His grandfather served in the 30s and 40s - last tour as a chief on the Constitution's commissioning crew. That's was my father's ship at the time."

He sighs and shakes his head.

Quote from: Patrick Goodman on February 18, 2022, 08:58:46 PM
He went on to explain how things went for his team on the ground, and then told him about the comedy of errors that had resulted in the truce with the Klingons.

Styles chuckles at the end of Treyva's story, wincing slightly in the process. "Nothing like a first skirmish for finding all the bugs," he says, patting the side of the bed frame. "I hear they're pretty sturdy, the Constellations. Was hoping to work my way back up to one of my own."

He looks up at Treyva. "Yours is fitted out differently, right? Mutli-mission package?"
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Patrick Goodman

Treyva nodded as he replied, "She's the first not kitted out for patrol duty. I oversaw the sensor suite installs myself." He paused for a moment. "I think you'll get one. We couldn't have made the progress we did today without the inroads you made with Yutan over the past few months. Besides," he added, smiling, "there's evidence of you daring one of the Klingon commanders to come pry your swagger stick out of your cold, dead fingers. Considering the current climate, that's likely to earn you a couple of points at Starfleet Command."