• Welcome to Beyond the Final Frontier.

Episode 1.13: Vengeance, with Interest (Conclusion)

Started by Davy, aka GM, January 10, 2020, 11:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick Goodman

Well, it looks like we might not get the "Snatch him out of his transporter beam" scene I'd kind of envisioned, but this could be cool, too. Either way, he's got a surprise coming.
"Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous." -- Captain Christopher Pike
Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

If you enjoy my work, why not buy me a coffee?

Patrick Goodman

Treyva stood up, flipping open his communicator as he did so. "Treyva to Christopher Robin. Mia, he appears to be beaming into the port of entry building. Get everyone over there on the double! Reinforcements are on the way."

Okay, so in case we can't snatch him from his transporter beam, we might as well be prepared. To that end, let's spend two Momentum (one just generated, one from the pool) to make a "Garav On the Hunt" Advantage as discussed in the private chat. That should throw some obstacles in Schrepfermann's way....

Davy, aka GM

OOC:
Current
Momentum 6 (1 pending, Treyva; must be spent or lost)
Threat 6

Familiar Systems Advantage (operating or manipulating Schrep's Household Sensor Suite)
Intermix Muckup Complication (any attempt to restore full warp power on the yacht)
Rotating Remote-Access Encryption Complication (any attempt to access the controls of the yacht remotely)
Pinched Nerve Complication (Tobin, increasing the Difficulty of any physical action requiring the use of one or both arms)
Garav on the Hunt Advantage (Forrest Security Team to track down Schrepfermann)

The Chase!
Security Team Lead Insight (8) + Security (2) vs. Difficulty 2 (reduced to 1 by Garav on the Hunt Advantage)
Rolled 2d20 : 20, 18, total 38

Security Team Assist #1 Insight (8) + Security (2)
Rolled 1d20 : 4, total 4

Security Team Assist #1 Insight (8) + Security (2)
Rolled 1d20 : 2, total 2

Schrepfermann Daring (10) + Security (2) vs. Difficulty 1, spending 3 Threat to Create Opportunity, Streetwise Focus applies
Rolled 4d20 : 9, 15, 20, 20, total 64
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Davy, aka GM

OOC: Security Team 0 Successes vs. adjusted Difficulty 1. Failure (and a Complication).
Dietrich 1 Success vs. Difficulty 1. Success (and 2 Complications).

Dietrich wins the contest, but he may not wish he did...

Security Team complication will be "Lost in New Providence." They will no longer be available to assist the PCs find Dietrich.

Dietrich, on the other hand, has to deal with two complications. First, he took too many risks and has become "Conspicuous," hindering further efforts to escape. Second, that risk taking led to him catching his shoulder on a sharp corner in the back alleys of the spaceport area, leading to an "Injured Shoulder," hindering any actions that require the use of his right arm or both arms.

So, I think this is a good opportunity to jump to secondary characters. I think it would be cool to have Miruku, Garav, Nikolai, Zorana, join Dourap in actions.

How is this?
Nolmir as Garav
Doug as Nikolai
Patrick as Zorana
Cole as Miruku

If you folks want to mix it up, or bring in Mia in place of your character, let me know...
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Doug Burke

I like it. Not only does it change things up, it also gives Nolmir and Renny a chance to take charge since Garav and Miurku would logically be in command...
"Plus who is going to be consoling Sorak there?"

"The commander raises a valid concern," Sorak replied with his usual aplomb, "As you can see, I am beside myself with worry."

Patrick Goodman

I like it.

Davy, aka GM

OOC: All right, then. I've added Garav to the supporting characters thread for convenience.

Quote from: Patrick Goodman on January 19, 2020, 04:55:25 PMTreyva stood up, flipping open his communicator as he did so. "Treyva to Christopher Robin. Mia, he appears to be beaming into the port of entry building. Get everyone over there on the double! Reinforcements are on the way."

"Understood," Mia responds as she taps the ship-wide intercom. "Garav, Nikolai, Miruku, Zorana, and Dr. Dourap, gear up and head out. Schrepfermann has escaped from the port of entry building into the spaceport complex, and we need to find him before he disappears altogether."

OOC: The spaceport complex has 11 open air berths on a large tarmac, several "convenience locations" (glorified food processors, heads, and shower facilities) between them, and a port of entry building with a four-pad transporter that marks the only access between the tarmac and the rest of the colony. Six ships, including the Christopher Robin, fill the six nearest berths to the port of entry building. Dietrich has escaped into this area.

Edit: I've added the pdf after saving it a different way to reduce file size. Occupied berths are labeled with the ship type; the small squares are all convenience locations.

Feel free to devise a plan. Garav is the real security expert among the crew, so he'll likely be the one to take the lead.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Patrick Goodman

Zorana rose quickly from where she'd been reading and punched the comm by the hatch. "On my way, ma'am," she said. Grabbing her tricorder, she hurried towards the gangplank, pausing briefly to retrieve a type-1 phaser from the ship's small weapons locker. She made sure the weapon was set to stun before stuffing it in her pocket.

Doug Burke

Nikolai Kolesnikov had just finished a minor adjustment to the Christopher Robin's sensor array when Mrs. Tyler's call to action came over the intercom. He quickly closed the access panel he had open, gathered his tools and his tricorder before meeting Zorana at the small weapons locker. He smiled nervously in greeting and wordlessly followed her lead in procuring a phaser-I from the locker. With a (hopefully) gallant gesture for the yeoman to precede him, the young engineer made his way to the airlock.

"The commander raises a valid concern," Sorak replied with his usual aplomb, "As you can see, I am beside myself with worry."

Nolmir

Garav finishes his practice hrisal strike as Mia's voice comes over the intercom, then cuts his exercise short as he wipes his brow and heads over to the comm panel in the Robin's cargo bay. He punches the button. "Understood. Everyone meet at the airlock ASAP," he adds in clipped tones, falling into old command patterns as he suppresses his excitement.

The Andorian holsters his hrisal and hustles to the airlock, picking up a tricorder and phaser at the equipment locker on the way. He nods briskly at the others once everyone has arrived. "OK, let's split into two teams and sweep around the sides of the spaceport until we meet back up. Nikolai, Zorana and Dr. Dourap, you go left, and Miruku and I will go right. Any questions?"

OOC: Obviously, Garav is the security expert, not me, so feel free to pipe up if you have a better idea.  ;)

Patrick Goodman

Zorana nodded. "Aye, sir," she said, and headed down the gangplank. To Nikolai, she said, "I sure hope I'm not the one who has to shoot him, sir. I'm a terrible shot."

Renny

Miruku had arrived at the airlock at a run, grateful to have not missed Garav's deployment orders. She felt the reassuring bulge of the phaser in her pocket and acknowledged the Andorian's order with a nod. She stepped aside to allow him to lead them out into the spaceport.

Davy, aka GM

OOC: I included the map on my previous post, so that should give you a better visual than the ASCII plot I had up there.

Each berth is open...essentially, it's just a marked-off area with a group of small free-standing enclosures that provide shore power, a comm panel, and emergency support (mostly firefighting equipment).

For search purposes (and combat, if it's required), we'll consider each berth a zone (11), each open area that includes a convenience location and the space to the right of it a zone (6), each corner of the enclosed spaceport area a zone (4), the area just below the port of entry building a zone, and the port of entry building itself a zone. That gives us 23 zones.

The crew fans out in two teams, with Mia staying behind on the ship to coordinate things between them. The engineer, yeoman, and doctor head out to the area between a pair of merchantmen; the Andorian and the navigator aim for the convenience location directly between the ship and the port of entry building.

OOC: Each team shall make an Insight + Security task vs. Difficulty 2 (reduced to Difficulty 1 due to Dietrich's Conspicuous Complication). One character will lead, and the others will assist.

Decide who will attempt the main task.

This task will not necessarily result in finding Dietrich, but will give you folks a more-specific idea of where he is within the spaceport.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Doug Burke

Nikolai smiles reassuringly to Zorana, "Not to worry. Garav will shoot. He's quite good at it."

OOC: Both Zorana and the doc have a better chance than Nikolai. I'll assist for all the good it'll do. :)