• Welcome to Beyond the Final Frontier.

Episode 1.13: Vengeance, with Interest (Conclusion)

Started by Davy, aka GM, January 10, 2020, 11:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davy, aka GM

QuoteTreyva sat down at the sensor console. "Treyva to Bridge. I'm going to try and find his transporter from down here," he said. "Keep an eye out for any other ships in orbit, especially Orion ships; a significant portion of his backing comes from them."

"Understood, Captain," a voice other than Jose Tyler's responds. "The sky is clear at the moment."

Quote...After a brief pause, he then offers, "Though it occurs to me that if one had access to the specific energy signature or frequency produced by the originating unit, that could eliminate the proximity and positioning factors. And if Schrepfermann is using Federation transporters without much modification, that information should be available to us here aboard the Forrest."

"Begging your pardons, sirs," Chief Nishimoto interjects, "but, barring some cloaked ship in orbit, Captain Schrepfermann would have to transport somewhere on the surface. That gives us two advantages: One, he's limited in distance due to the curve of the planet, since he isn't using an airborne or spaceborne transporter unit to angle the beam. Two, since we're training our sensors on the compound, we should be able to pick up the transporter signal when it activates, and we can see both its origin and destination."

OOC: Patrick, for Treyva's search, we're going with Reason + Science vs. Difficulty 1, assisted by the Forrest's Sensors (7) + Science (1)

Current
Momentum 6
Threat 6

Familiar Systems Advantage (operating or manipulating Schrep's Household Sensor Suite)
Intermix Muckup Complication (any attempt to restore full warp power on the yacht)
Rotating Remote-Access Encryption Complication (any attempt to access the controls of the yacht remotely)
Pinched Nerve Complication (Tobin, increasing the Difficulty of any physical action requiring the use of one or both arms)
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Patrick Goodman

Treyva Reason (10) + Science (4), TN 14, D1

Rolled 2d20 : 7, 1, total 8

Forrest assist, Sensors (7) + Science (1), TN 8

Rolled 1d20 : 19, total 19

"Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous." -- Captain Christopher Pike
Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

If you enjoy my work, why not buy me a coffee?

Davy, aka GM

OOC: The ship isn't a help; she's certainly not the Drake.

3 Successes, vs. Difficulty 1. Success, plus 2 Momentum generated. They must be spent or lost.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Patrick Goodman

I want to create an Advantage to help us intercept the beam. I might also spend one from the pool or add one to Threat for More Info, depending on what the initial scan reveals.

Davy, aka GM

OOC: Okay, we'll call this Advantage "Ready for Intercept." (I know, it's terrible.)

Despite the inadequacy of the frigate's sensors, Treyva is able to pinpoint an energy buildup that certainly wasn't there on the Christopher Robin's original approach, and it certainly matches a standard Federation transporter signature. The signature is too deep for an effective transporter lock, but he thinks he can track the direction of the beam.

Bolivar, watching the sensor readings with Treyva, nods mostly to himself and says, "Right. I'll deploy security teams to secure the grounds, and see if we can find that energy signature. I'll keep one on standby here in case we can track Schrepfermann wherever he decides to go."
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Patrick Goodman

Are there facilities on the planet other than New Providence? Because we have eyes in New Providence to see if a ship might have started pre-flight....

Davy, aka GM

OOC: New Providence is the only incorporated area on the planet. And, as far as Treyva knows, it is the only settlement of any kind, besides Dietrich's compound.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Patrick Goodman

Seems the most likely, as well as the most logical, place to stash another power piece, doesn't it?

"Sounds like an excellent plan, Commander," Treyva replied. Turning to Sorak and Nishimoto, he said,, "Gentlemen, I'm transferring the coordinates to the main console now; I don't think we can get a lock, but we can certainly track his beam."

The Denobulan leaned back in his seat. "Of course, barring a cloaked ship, the most likely destination is...." He stopped mid-thought, then pulled out his communicator and opened it. "Treyva to Christopher Robin," he said.

Renny

Davy, aka GM

"Treyva! Where are you? Is everything okay?" Mia responds from the other end of the line. "Do you need an extraction?"
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Patrick Goodman

"Everything is fine," he said. "We're in the transporter room of the Forrest at the moment, trying to finish this mission. Schrepfermann alone is still at large, and might be transporting to the spaceport there. Can you look and see if any ships have started prepping for a quick dust-off?"

Davy, aka GM

"Give me a moment," she says, her voice noticeably brighter than it was a moment ago, and the line goes quiet for a moment. "Five other ships are nearby, but it looks like nothing is imminent; we'll keep you posted."

As the call terminates, the energy signature begins to take shape into a definite transporter beam. Treyva watches it bounce off a mountain-based relay, right at the end of the transporter's range, and a second high-altitude relay that's in line-of-site to New Providence. From there, the signal disappears into the duotronic noise of the colony and its small spaceport.

OOC: Let's do it again. Treyva's Reason + Science vs. Difficulty 2 (due to signal noise), assisted by the Forrest's Sensors (7) + Science (1). Difficulty reduced by 1 for the Ready for Intercept Advantage.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Patrick Goodman

Treyva Reason  (10) + Science  (4), TN 14, D1 after Advantage

Rolled 2d20 : 14, 6, total 20

Forrest assists, Sensors  (7) + Science  (1), TN8

Rolled 1d20 : 10, total 10

Let's see how this goes....

Davy, aka GM

OOC: 2 Successes vs. Difficulty 1. Success, plus 1 Momentum generated. The Momentum must be spent or lost.

The noise is not insignificant, but Treyva's considerable skill and experience allows him to pick out the transporter beam's termination at the "port of entry" building's public pad at the spaceport.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Patrick Goodman

Thinking about the Momentum spend.

Treyva quickly transferred the data to the transporter console. "Gentlemen, there's your beam; try and grab him!"

Turning to Bolivar, he said, "Deploy to the port of entry building at the spaceport, in case they miss!"