• Welcome to Beyond the Final Frontier.

Episode 1.13: Vengeance, with Interest (Conclusion)

Started by Davy, aka GM, January 10, 2020, 11:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick Goodman

Treyva accepted the pad and read Sovar's message. With a resigned expression, he handed the pad back to Sorak with a sigh. "Should have seen that coming a sector away," he said. "I presume you're already preparing our defense?"
"Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous." -- Captain Christopher Pike
Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

If you enjoy my work, why not buy me a coffee?

Doug Burke

The engineer nodded, "Indeed. Lieutenant Kolesnikov is beginning the data gathering process."
He paused, choosing his next words carefully. "I must however confess that I am uncertain what would be the best choice in this case. Logic suggests that, while technological advancement and the replacement of outdated equipment is part of the nature of reality, outdated does not logically equate to obsolete. On the other hand, while I am rather emotionally invested in the Drake, I find myself favorably anticipating creating a similar bond with a new ship. Both of my primary decision-making criteria are almost perfectly balanced for and against. As a result, I am uncertain which argument would serve the greatest good in this situation."
He allowed himself a rueful expression, "I find uncertainty to be a less than pleasant experience, sir."
"Plus who is going to be consoling Sorak there?"

"The commander raises a valid concern," Sorak replied with his usual aplomb, "As you can see, I am beside myself with worry."

Patrick Goodman

Treyva nodded. "It's not my favorite thing either. Paula taught me an old Human expression her aunt uses occasionally: 'Well, this sucks out loud.' Which goes well with how I'm feeling right now anyway...."

He resumed his walk towards the turbolift. "I've done this with the Drake before, but they weren't so interested in her use as a 'fighting ship' then. They were more concerned with her research and exploration capabilities, which is where I think her greatest use to Starfleet still lies."

The door to the lift opened and both men entered. "At the moment, it's also the testbed for Sonek's structural integrity improvements; we should be sure to bring that up. It could revolutionize ship design for generations to come."

The doors hissed shut. "She's a good ship, and deserves better than she's getting. Win or lose, I'm not giving up on her without a fight."

OOC: No real destination, just seemed like a reasonable place to go. I think I'm done unless Doug has more to add.

Davy, aka GM

Captain s Log, Stardate 8804.7: We have returned to Starbase 24 and handed Captain Schrepfermann and Lieutenant Niro over starbase security for transport to Earth. I return to my day job with some trepidation, as the Drake herself is in peril from the ravages of time and the constancy of the bureaucratic process. Even my first officer and chief engineer is on the fence as to how hard we should fight the formal inquiry into the disposition of a ship I have called home for many, many years.

Regardless, I'm going to fight; the
Drake has plenty of life left in her, and Sonek's structural integrity improvements deserve more time to prove themselves.

OOC: Time for Reputation tasks. All five PCs have complied with all orders and directives, and, as I stated in the Jose Tyler's captain's log, all PCs have been noted as performing above and beyond the call of duty. So, you folks start with 2 positive Influences. Please go back to through the episode to look at your character's actions, and PM me with any other positive or negative Influences you see for them.

The second thing we need to do is determine the fate of the Drake. This was something I saw as an opportunity after the Drake took extensive damage at the end of Episode 1.12, so I figured I'd put it up to you gents and include it as a possibility within the story line.

The choices are:

1. The crew successfully convinces Commander Trudeau to recommend the Drake for repair and return to active service, and Season 2 will open at the end of repairs and a short shakedown cruise.

2. Commander Trudeau recommends the Drake be taken out of active service and the structural integrity field equipment installed on another ship for continued testing; however, Commodore Krane successfully lobbies Starfleet Command to keep the crew together, and they are rewarded with the brand new Constellation-class USS Drake (NCC-2491).

Each player has one vote.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Doug Burke

Sorak nodded at his friend and captain's words. "I shall be guided by you in this, then. I have some additional ideas for gathering information. We will not go quietly, sir."

"The commander raises a valid concern," Sorak replied with his usual aplomb, "As you can see, I am beside myself with worry."

Patrick Goodman

I'll ping you later with influences. On the ship question, I find myself torn. On the one hand, it's right there in the series title. We've been playing this ship for north of a decade. I'm kind of sentimental about it.

OTOH, it's been north of a decade, and a new ship can come with new challenges. I dig the Constellation's design, and wouldn't mind playing one.

I vote 2.

Doug Burke

I feel exactly the same way as Patrick. Consider this seconding his vote.

Renny

OOC: I will look at influences later. As far as the ship goes, i'll vote 2 to keep things simple. I like the look of the Constellation Class so happy to move on in that direction.

Davy, aka GM

OOC: Okay, with three votes for change, we will retire the beloved Anton-class USS Drake and have the crew assigned en masse to the new Constellation-class USS Drake. I'll start working on a new ship page. We'll continue with the multirole explorer mission. Once the page is up, I'll let you gents decide what additional Talents to give her.

Regarding current responses for Influences:

I'm a bit on the fence about a deal with the enemy, as I didn't really consider Dareth and Gorvan to be enemies; however, they were potential adversaries, so I think we'll go with it. Treyva and Sorak were the principals in those scenes (I have to reward Sorak for his excellent verbatim delivery :) ), so they'll get an extra positive influence for that.

For directly contributing to saving lives, I can see that for Treyva (and, behind the scenes for Dourap) for promising to counter the toxin in Kainiss ' system.

Steve responded, so here's the final Influences for Reputation:

Treyva - 4 positive, 0 negative
Sorak - 3 positive, 0 negative
Tobin - 2 positive, 0 negative
Dourap - 3 positive, 0 negative
Cole - 2 positive, 0 negative
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Nolmir

Sounds good, guys. I was on the fence about the ship too. I'll miss the Drake, but I think it will be fun to have a new ship, and I gotta say the Constellations are pretty cool.

Davy, aka GM

OOC: Okay, gents, I have all the Influences listed in my previous post. Please go ahead with your Reputation Tasks.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Patrick Goodman

Treyva Reputation Task
Reputation 16
Rank Privilege 4
Responsibility Range 17-20

Positive Influences 4
Negative Influences 0

Rolled 4d20 : 12, 19, 14, 2, total 47

Appendages crossed....

Patrick Goodman

Davy, aka GM

OOC: 4 Successes vs. Difficulty 0. 4 Reputation points earned.

Remember, as captain, you can also give those out to your subordinates.
"Course, sir?"

"Out there...thataway."

Patrick Goodman

It's kind of selfish, but with this being so personal for him, I kinda want Trey to get something out of this for himself.